SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Where can I find a form for people to sign up for a newsletter?

Hi,

I used to be more interested in telling people about B12 and how it prevents common nerve damage... but now I really need to earn some money...

and people buy vitamins after visiting my site, but I don't get any credit because they go directly to Vitacost...

So I need to email them, I think, to remind them to order through my site...

I think people would sign up for a newsletter... but I can't find a form to put on my site.

(I have a bit of brain injury, so maybe I've found the form but don't recognize it.)

Help!

Help????

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Karen,

What service or script do you plan to use to manage your newsletter and subscribers?

Everyone that I know of (Dadamail, Aweber, constant contact etc...) comes with a form you can use to collect a name and email addy - and they almost always have tools to allow you to modify that and add more fields if you want.

If you don't have a script installed and don't have the budget yet for a service, check out a free service like www.sendfree.com and see if that'll work for you.

Cheers,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Oh dear... since I don't understand what you've written... I can see why I can't find what I want.

I only have about a hundred visitors a day. I was thinking maybe three or four of them would sign up and I'd just manually put their email addresses into my email lists. (actually, I was thinking I'd be lucky to get three or four a month...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

What I do is write emails...

Here's the one I sent out this week...

Hi,
    On Saturday I met a woman who is much older than me, but also much healthier. I looked at her fingernails as we chatted and wasn't surprised to see that she has smooth fingernails with clear moons on each finger; though, when I told her about the connection between smooth fingernails and nerves, she observed that she was getting a ridge on her little fingernail.

I showed her how my fingernails have pronounced ridges and do not have moons like hers, and due to the difficulty I have talking (because of my nerve damage and brain injury) she appeared to take what I said seriously.

I mention this to you because I was thinking about her today and I was thinking that she either had less stress in her life or better handled the stress she had than I handled the stress I had.

Because the holidays are stressful, please take time to relax and take care of yourself so that when you are much older you are healthy and free of nerve damage. Now is the time to prepare for then.

Perhaps because memory is so much more dear to me now that mine is a bit impaired, I have been thinking about what makes things memorable and how it is that I remember some things clearly. Perhaps you would care to take a look at what I've been remembering and at some good memory things for the holidays.

<snip>
    Your fingernails reflect your health --
    Learn some warning signs --
    Karen Kline
    Last edited by Shyflower; Dec 9, 2007 at 06:22. Reason: sorry-- no links to your site allowed other than in your signature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Consider-This View Post
    Oh dear... since I don't understand what you've written... I can see why I can't find what I want.

I only have about a hundred visitors a day. I was thinking maybe three or four of them would sign up and I'd just manually put their email addresses into my email lists. (actually, I was thinking I'd be lucky to get three or four a month...)
    Well, you could use whatever program you use for email and just BCC a list of folks, but as your list grows and takes more of your time to manage you'll wish you had a program to manage and automate the process for you.

Unfortunately I don't know of any form you can use that would tie in with your email program - but you could always just include a email link on your site and ask people to send you an email indicating they want to join your list. I personally think that's asking too much though and have never signed up for a list that required me to email someone first (with the exception of getting information from an autoresponder).

If you only expecting a signup a week I'd seriously consider using SendFree as I mentioned earlier, unless you really like doing all the hard work yourself.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider-This, don't you have an affiliate link up? You are saying they are not clicking on it?

You may want to consider not doing a newsletter. Why show your letter(s) to only a couple, when it can be shown to all your visitors by putting it on your homepage?

And put your aff. link(s) in the letter(s).

Also, tell them that it opens a new window. Most like links that way, as this won't have them leaving a site they are on now.

In addition, if you aren't already, you should consider writing short articles, and or quick tips for your visitors to come back to, time and time again. There are also plenty of writers out there who are looking for sites to submit their own articles to. So there's an option also.

Put underneath all the articles and quick tips a "send to a friend" form. They simply put in their name, their friend(s) name and e-mail address, and hit the "send" button.
    Last edited by BlueMoon32; Dec 8, 2007 at 13:15.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Autoresponder services come with good forms. Some are even free. Do a search on google for "free autoresponder services", then search for info on how to place the code for their form in your page. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Hi Karen,

What service or script do you plan to use to manage your newsletter and subscribers?

Everyone that I know of (Dadamail, Aweber, constant contact etc...) comes with a form you can use to collect a name and email addy - and they almost always have tools to allow you to modify that and add more fields if you want.

If you don't have a script installed and don't have the budget yet for a service, check out a free service like www.sendfree.com and see if that'll work for you.

Cheers,

Steve
    Okay... but it doesn't say it provides a form to use to get email addresses.

That's what I need.

I'm not awfully interested in sharing my email list... I think people would be bombarded and then they'd be less interested in my mailings.

I need a form...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay... but it doesn't say it provides a form to use to get email addresses.

That's what I need.

I'm not awfully interested in sharing my email list... I think people would be bombarded and then they'd be less interested in my mailings.

I need a form...
    Hmmm, maybe I missed a post here, but who said anything about sharing your email list?

If it's just a basic contact form you want, use http://formtoemail.com/ which includes the form and the script (program) to process it.

No matter what kind of forms you have on your site they need a program running on your server to process that information. I use an older version of Kmita Mail for the contact form on my site, but you may want to check with your webhost as most come with some kind of form processor alrady installed.

If you don't want to play around with installing something on your server to process your form, take a look at both www.wufoo.com and www.jotform.com which will let you make a form on their site and have the persons information emailed to you. I've used them both and they work well and the basic versions are free so you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Hmmm, maybe I missed a post here, but who said anything about sharing your email list?

If it's just a basic contact form you want, use http://formtoemail.com/ which includes the form and the script (program) to process it.

No matter what kind of forms you have on your site they need a program running on your server to process that information. I use an older version of Kmita Mail for the contact form on my site, but you may want to check with your webhost as most come with some kind of form processor alrady installed.

If you don't want to play around with installing something on your server to process your form, take a look at both www.wufoo.com and www.jotform.com which will let you make a form on their site and have the persons information emailed to you. I've used them both and they work well and the basic versions are free so you really can't go wrong with either of them.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I may have misunderstood, but one of those sites... some site... was all happy to offer to expand ones exposure by ... I thought it was sharing the addresses.

But see, I could well be wrong.

I have figured out, now that I read a lot of old threads and posts here on Sitepoint, as well as the pages that were suggested, that Yahoo, my server, offers different forms. It took me awhile to work out how to get them to function properly, but I have ... and so now I'm pretty happy. All happy, I should say.

Thank you a lot for your help.

I tried to do this a couple weeks ago and spent days at it without any success, so I'm once again convinced that asking at Sitepoint is a very lucky and fortunate thing to be able to do.

Thank you!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Karen, I glad you found something that works well for
    you and I can remember the days of spending hours and hours trying to figure things out on my own so I know how you feel.

Good luck with the newsletter!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thank you so much, Steve.

What a nice message.

I'm pretty excited, actually. Though I don't suppose there will be a deluge of addresses tomorrow. (or this month?)

I've been redoing my site... based on some suggestions a couple years ago from the review forum... and I must say, this is MUCH better than what I had to start with..

I'll put the link here in case you want to see... though without seeing how it was before there's no way of knowing how MUCH difference there is.

<snip>

Oh wait, I may have saved a copy of the first home page...

<snip>

Well, you will be able to see a bit of difference. (understatement...)
    Last edited by Shyflower; Dec 9, 2007 at 06:25. Reason: self promotional links not allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add, it was really nice of you to say that you used to have a hard time, too.

It's neat that you help people now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Thank you so much, Steve.

What a nice message.

I'm pretty excited, actually. Though I don't suppose there will be a deluge of addresses tomorrow. (or this month?)

I've been redoing my site... based on some suggestions a couple years ago from the review forum... and I must say, this is MUCH better than what I had to start with..

I'll put the link here in case you want to see... though without seeing how it was before there's no way of knowing how MUCH difference there is.

<snip>

Oh wait, I may have saved a copy of the first home page...

<snip>

Well, you will be able to see a bit of difference. (understatement...)
    Sorry about putting the links in... I just thought you'd be amused at how different it looks...

I didn't realize we coiuldn't put links into messages... sorry.