User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast buffyspazz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS and browser resolution

Well, here I am again. Here's my question/thought:

I'm going to try and design a tableless layout for a personal site using xhtml 1.0 and css to get some practice, etc. However, it got me thinking about the implications of trying to do this for a professional site (in the future). In other words, I get really hung up on the browser resolution. I already know that CSS is less-than-perfectly implemented across different browsers, and now the browser res thing has me scratching my head. The problem is that I'm trying to keep our work site very accomodating to various browsers and screen resolutions (it's a church site, not a corporate one, so we're expecting less people to have the latest browsers, big monitors, high screen res, etc.)

(Let me just put an aside here - I understand that the point of xhtml is make the web more accessible to ALL types of viewers/readers, ie, palm pilots, readers for the visually disabled, etc. I think that's great, and I'm all for separating style from content, even if that means that the style looks bad in older, non-compliant browsers. In theory, anyway. When it comes to my work site, I can't be quite that forward-thinking yet.)

So...I can't see being able to implement a really functional CSS site at work (even if CSS was fully supported in the latest browsers) because I can't think of how to design a page using CSS positioning that would accomodate various browser sizes (without using a javascript). I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to have different stylesheets based on browser res and then redirect someone to the appropriate stylesheet based on their browser - that's a little different (in my mind) than maintaining separate WEBSITES for different screen resolutions - i.e., I might have three, maybe four different stylesheets for the different resolutions but only one actual site.

So anyway, my question is whether there is any more effective way to accomodate various browser resolutions than the javascript solution mentioned above. Again, I'm not thinking of coming to work tomorrow and changing our site to XHTML/CSS - I'm just trying to think forward, but it makes my head hurt sometimes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use relative sizes in CSS :?
    You can simply use things like width: 50%; .

But you are right, it is much easier with absolute sizes to design a site. In that case you'd better comply with a 800*600 browser, and design for that resolution