SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Newbie trying to understand proxy website businesses

I have been browsing the marketplace and notice a lot of proxy websites for sale. I understand what a proxy website is, but how is it that they generate so much traffic so quickly? Are these good websites to purchase as a newbie? Do you have to have your own dedicated server or can you host these with someone like GoDaddy?

Also, I came across an ebook that tells people how to flip proxy sites. That sent up red flags in my head and makes me wonder if these kind of sites are good investments or are most buyers getting duped somehow.

Any advice/insight from those of you who are more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of proxy sites provide work arounds for sites like Myspace, Youtube, Facebook and others.

They are popular with students and corporate employees because most system administrators for institutions like those listed block those sites and many others.

Using a proxy, (as long as it's a good service), allows those who are blocked by their system administrator to be able to surf those sites while at school or work.

Proxys of course have other uses as well many of which have to do with hiding the users true identity so that's not always good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That part I understand. The part I don't understand is how the proxy sites that are listed for sale in the marketplace get so much traffic so fast. I've run two websites now and I've always had to build up traffic. But most of the proxy sites have thousands of unique visitors within the first two weeks of launch!

I don't understand how they generate all this traffic so fast when there is so much competition and very little to distinguish the actual sites themselves.

That's why I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle when it comes to these types of sites???

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is speculation, but probably one of the reasons is that these proxy sites have a tendency to get blocked by WebSense and other services relatively quickly. When a new service comes out that the blocking software or system admins don't know about yet people are going to adopt it quickly. The idea itself is also geared towards more tech-saavy users who, in general, belong to the early-adopter crowd and keep up with these sorts of things. When I have the need for a proxy site I just use Google and go down the list until I find one that works so it's quite common to not use the same one twice.
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proxy traffic

We recently purchased a proxy that advertised 55000 uniques per month and our first day up and running we had 52, when you buy proxies it is definately a buyer beware. Traffic is either purchased or exchanged. You can purchase a listing on top list sites which will push a lot of traffic to your proxy. It may or maynot be good traffic. you can do list exchanges and exchange links with many different list you will get a few per day from each list. If you are good at SEO you can get organic traffic which is the best.

Hope this helps
    Hot new lightning fast anonymous proxy for private surfing!
    Anonymous Proxy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I dont find web proxy as profitable business. Who uses proxies?
    Scammers, countries blocked from accessing certain content (adult), kids blocked from accessing adult content, students - is this your target market?

Adsense stats shown on the market place does not tell you if the account is still active or is blocked for click fraud. You might end up with banned domain.

Free php proxy script:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/php-proxy/

Set it up, list on some proxy list sites and try out yourself. Don't enable/block ssl to limit the fraud that can go thru your service!