SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

css layout tutorial for people from table layout background

hi, I've been developing sites in table layout for years.
    table layout has worked great for me, but I'd like to migrate to css layout instead because it's the standard. I want to be the cool kid in the neighborhood.

I'm familiar with using css for formatting purposes: fonts, alignment, background image, etc.. but when it comes to using css to control the layout, I found it difficult, and I keep finding myself going back to table layout because it's something I'm used to.

could someone point me to the right direction how to master the css (div) in layout who has a background of table layout?

thank you,
    -Jason

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason,

If you can hang on for a few while I clear out some other tabs here, I'll be more than happy to write one up for you (and I guarantee it'll be no less than 10 times better than the links and other "tutorials" you'll probably be bombarded with in the meantime).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you dan. I'll be hanging there then.
    I'm sure it'll benefit a lot other developers who comes from my background too.

appreciate it.
    -Jason

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not wishing to steal Dan's thunder... but I've written a few tutorials for this very purpose which you're welcome to use

CSS Layouts (Start with the oldest first as that's easier and I'm adding more as I have time which will be getting more complex).

They're only simple structures for layouts but do explain how everything works as apposed to a lot of demo's which will simply give you the code but not explain why its done the way it is.

I'm sure Dan's layout will be more finished and suitable for your needs but hopefully those tutorials will give you an understanding as well as to how Dan's layout works and why he's done it the way he has

Hope that helps.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tutorial coming up! (I've finished the other tabs.)

(hint, it'll be in another post on this thread)