User Tag List

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Subdomains to be treated the same as subfolders

From http://searchengineland.com/071207-090257.php

News flash from Las Vegas PubCon. Matt Cutts informed us that Google will very soon begin treating subdomains and subdirectories the same in this fashion: there will be only 2 total urls from a domain in any set of search results, so no more getting 3, 4 or however many spots via subdomains. We didn't get any more information than just that basic heads-up.
    That answers a very common question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is this a sorting change for making results more concise, or is this actually combining the ranking of primary and sub-domains?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Combining. Basically subdomains won't be treated like a separate site any more. At least when it comes to displaying search results.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How will they know where the domain part finishes and the subdomain part starts? Will co.uk be considered to be a domain and so only two pages from the UK get listed? - I doubt it. What about free hosting providers where each sub-domain is really a separate site, they are not really sub-domains either. What about when you have a number of completely different topics and instead of getting one domain per topic you did it the easy way and set up a sub-domain for each topic. I guess dogs,about,com and javascript.about.com are not really competing for the same keywords anyway but there is no real definition that distinguishes a sub-domain from a domain.

What part is the subdomain in - http://www.this.is.a.very.long.domain.example.com
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good question.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen fewer subdomains on the same domain ranking over the last couple of years...you used to be able to get multiple rankings with subdomain for the same terms...oh the good ole days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Combining. Basically subdomains won't be treated like a separate site any more. At least when it comes to displaying search results.
    Right, so the results may be grouped together, but www.example.com vs. test.example.com will still posess two separate ranks, right?

I didn't read anything from Matt's newest post to indicate a change in that regard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    Right, so the results may be grouped together, but www.example.com vs. test.example.com will still posess two separate ranks, right?

I didn't read anything from Matt's newest post to indicate a change in that regard.
    Since they are two different pages, yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Since they are two different pages, yes.
    Right I understand that, but this change isn't saying that subdomain.example.com is now attributing it's value to the parent domain--it's just saying that the subdomain can be paired with the primary domain in the results, right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's what it sounds like. Basically creating subdomains to get more content indexed and listed in the SERPs won't work anymore.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has this been implemented yet? I was just searching for a driver for an old printer I wanted to install and was surprised by these results...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you search for a specific company more results will show from that domain since it will be more relevant. That's a caveat they were sure to mention.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great news. Before my main competitor completely disappeared from Google, they engaged in the dirty trick of using subdomains to have more results in Google's top 10. site.com, www.site.com, www2.site.com, etc.

More and more, Google is catching up to Yahoo in not giving preferential treatment to spammers.

One thing, though: is Google going to continue for pagerank purposes to treat subdomains as different sites? My understanding is that sub.mysite.com is viewed as distinctly different than mysite.com or www.mysite.com. It would be nice if some linkjuice value could pass through from cheesedude.mysite.com to mysite.com. Unless it already does...but I don't think so.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've got links pointing from the domain to the subdomain then some PR should be passed regardless of this change.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    One thing, though: is Google going to continue for pagerank purposes to treat subdomains as different sites? My understanding is that sub.mysite.com is viewed as distinctly different than mysite.com or www.mysite.com. It would be nice if some linkjuice value could pass through from cheesedude.mysite.com to mysite.com. Unless it already does...but I don't think so.
    PR is not done on a site-by-site basis. It is done on a page-by-page basis. So this won't affect how PR works in any way.