SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How to Disable Firefox Extension Update

I have the latest gamma version of Firefox running on two of my computers each running on a different operating system (different versions of Windows) and each running the same extensions. Up until the beginning of this week I was keeping all the extensions up to date by installing updates as they were offered and also checking for updates after each browser update.

At the beginning of this week I upgraded everything and the browser on one operating system stopped working - every time after opening it and selecting to go to a new page the browser would crash. The browser on the other computer running the same version of all the extensions was unaffected.

I eventually tracked the problem to the Rewind/Fast Forward extension and uninstalled it and reinstalled the prior version which works fine.

Surprisingly within days there is yet another version of the extension out. Not knowing if this would fix the bug in the prior version I decided to install it on the other computer first. An even bigger surprise was that this newer version totally stuffed up Firefox on that computer as it displayed a huge error area at the bottom of the page containing a stupid looking invalid doctype declaration and the buttons it was supposed to add were gone. I quickly uninstalled that version and reinstalled from two versions back so that once again my two browsers are running the same working version of the extension.

So now to my question:

How do I tell Firefox that the version of that extension that I am running is the last ever version to be written and to not keep advising me that there is crap available to install and trash my browser. I don't want to go installing that garbage again by mistake when updating one of the other extensions where the authors test the extension properly before releasing it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well looking though Firefox it doesn't offer an automatic means to disregard a single extension. But you can fool it into thinking you have the latest version.

If you go to C:\Document and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random name]\extensions\
    (On Vista: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\)

Hard part if finding the right folder that contains your extension, once you find it open install.rdf and change the <em:version> tag to something like 500.0 or what have you then restart firefox.

Kinda cumbersome tho
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even after making that change it still came up again saying that an update was available and quoted the correct (instead of my modified) version number. I found a reference in the install.js file and have changed that now too.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay Firefox is still popping up the upgrade requests for the extension and still showing the correct version number so the version number in all the files in the extension folder is irrelevant.

Does anyone know how to disable an extension from being able to be upgraded?
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be something to do with the registry.
    Last edited by Rob_D; Dec 10, 2007 at 12:01. Reason: Error reading first post
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's tricky isn't it. There are some js files that have references to updates, but are too scrambled for me to look at tonight, but there may be some clues there...
    Arthur C. Clarke

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Well done!
    Arthur C. Clarke

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have had this problem with crashing; I thought it had happened after updating to Firefox 2.0.0.10, but maybe there was an update to Fastforward/Rewind around the same time.

I also went through the process of disabling all extensions and enabling them one by one, which isolated it to this particular one.

Surprisingly within days there is yet another version of the extension out. Not knowing if this would fix the bug in the prior version I decided to install it on the other computer first. An even bigger surprise was that this newer version totally stuffed up Firefox on that computer as it displayed a huge error area at the bottom of the page containing a stupid looking invalid doctype declaration and the buttons it was supposed to add were gone.
    Ditto. The following version (released a day or two later) removed this - but it still spontaneously shut down without warning.

Can you tell me where I can get the previous version which does not cause FF to crash - I really miss these buttons.

I have sent an email to the developer, but received no reply.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To get the prior version go to the page where the latest version is offered for download. There is a text link just below the big download button that takes you to the version history page where you will find download links for all prior versions.

Thanks drhowarddrfine for the link to the proper instructions.
    Stephen J Chapman