User Tag List

Thread: Java

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Just wanna ask, is there any one interested in Java ? This forum's topic is "perl....Cold" but no Java .
    Im learning Java 2 now, and It's driving me crazy !!! That is awesome OOP !!! Compare with C++ is much easier and better (I think.)
    and after Ill be smart enough, I would love to learn JSP. So if there any one interested in Java, lets talk about it a bit .

Interesting:
    I've made application (on Java), wich looks for some information about web site, so
    I've checked webmaster-resources.com and I've got: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) PHP/3.0.5 server here. So just wondering why webmaster don't use PHP ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can discuss any form of programming language's here.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people really hate Java. Perhaps this is why it isn't mentioned in this section's name? It is *SLOW*, and most of the time it crashes the viewing browser.

I know that every time I meet a Java site I shut down the offending window immediately. Perhaps this is just me, but I suspect others feel the same way.

Sure, it was a good idea, but it has been implemented very poorly.

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    webmaster@f-free.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry...
    You very wrong about "poorly".
    Im not talking about Java on the internet,
    I mean JAVA like OOP. And even on the Internet, you can do awesome stuff, like: http://www.excite.com/games -check "chess" or card games... people LOVE it !! Because of Java it's so easy and fast to play those games, and its look wonderful !
    But if you use java to build applications, that's even more awesome! ( I mean application like CorelDraw, Forte for Java, and other.).
    Well... I agree that mostly those "scrollers", "trees" and "lakes" written in Java are pretty poor and boring.
    It's doesn't shows full power of Java OOP.
    It's just a very-very-very small part of what you can do in Java.(and you can do everything you want)
    I think that you should try to learn Java.
    (not for web, but as OOP).
    Good luck,
    Jenea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well, I think that I will just stick to C++ - that's what I'm good at.

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    webmaster@f-free.co.uk

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet is not ready for Java yet.. Too many slow connections. I have tried to play those games at Yahoo or Excite and it just takes too long to load on a dialup connection. As bandwidth increases then use of Java will also. I also will stick to C++ in my applications programming. I haven't found anything faster in execution yet.

Java's future lies in the use of embedded devices since this is the overall purpose it was designed for. Its internet use is a side effect of the original design of the language.

You'll also notice that every technology listed in the title of this forum is a server-side technology which until recently, with the introduction of JSP and servlets, Java was not server side. Now I can hear everyone saying "What about Javascript???". Javascript is Netscape's server side technology found in Livewire and used on their servers. Granted it is used more on the client today but it was originally designed to be server oriented. If you look at the documentation you'll find it broken up between server and client functionality.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited January 23, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, a java discussion.
    I been programming in java for about 2 years now. There are great things about java and some pretty crapp things also. It is easier than C++, it is a good tool to learn OO, since the structure is very dependent on OO. The language is at higher level than C++, there is no direct control of hardware/memory/IO etc...

How ever if you want to write some serious programs java then is not recommended. It is way too slow, since it requires to load the virtual machine first and then interpret the code.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that I am a Computer Science student at a prominent university in America and the Uni is changing its default programming languages from m3 and C/C++ to JAVA over the next year. It has caused quite an uproar in the CS department as many peple feel JAVA is a very poor teaching language. It does not give you the same feel for working with pointers or allows you to manipulating bits the way C does...

Christian

------------------
    Axie automatically performs free, customizable
    searches for new websites and delivers the links
    to members by personalized email.
    http://www.axie.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChrRmr: your university is changing to Java? Do they think you are *babies*?

Yes, Java is easy to learn

-but-

so is C! Not to brag or anything, I learnt C when I was 9 years old and had mastered C++ by the age of 11.

Now, if a university thinks its *degree-level students* are having trouble using pointers or manipulating then what exactly is the world coming to?

And in reality, to big software firms actually write in Java? No! We all know what happened to Corel after their little fiasco!

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    f-free - Free Stuff and Freebies!