SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    That's further proof of why you give out bad SEO advice.
    You think spiders don't follow nofollow links?

I can prove that right now, but you wont allow me to link to my websites

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    You think spiders don't follow nofollow links?

I can prove that right now, but you wont allow me to link to my websites
    Google doesn't. They ignore them. Yahoo does follow them but gives them no value. That's straight from the search engines themselves.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this was already mentioned earlier in this thread. You should exchange links with sites in your genre that are very well established and rank well for the terms you want to rank well for. But those are the only sites you want to do it with. And it's not for SEO purposes.
    Thanks for your previous answer. This paragraph has got me wondering about a couple of things though.

1. If exchanging links with context relevant sites that rank well for the term you are using can can help you because it adds relevance for that term to your own site, thereby helping it's ranking, surely that's SEO? If it's not, how exactly is it helping you?

2. The problem with the excerpt from the Google guidelines which Dan posted is that it only says that 'excessive' reciprocal linking 'can' hurt you. It doesn't say it will for sure or what effect non-excessive reciprocal linking has.

So, could a reasonable number of context relevant reciprocal links help your rankings?
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google doesn't. They ignore them. Yahoo does follow them but gives them no value. That's straight from the search engines themselves.
    No, spiders still crawl the nofollow links and give you some value, not as much as a link with nofollow. I have tested this many many times. You can also do a google search:

http://dallas-seo.blogspot.com/2006/...work-like.html
    http://agachi.name/weblog/archives/2...ollow-work.htm

Those aren't my websites, those are other ppl testing it out.

I accidentally tested it out the other day, I bought a domain and had one of my writers put a 500 word article, I then linked it from only 1 page that gets a lot of spider traffic, i use nofollow on the page because the massive amounts of outbound links on the page (its like a portfolio page), well 2 days latter its indexed in google. No pinging and no linking from any non-nofollow links.

And yes I do have a few nofollow wiki links, and yes they do help. Infact for one of my websites, everytime the mods on wiki find my link for a certain niche, I drop 3 ranks. So I have to readd it the link

So google not giving any weight to nofollow links is false. They do but its way less than a non-nofollow link. If you don't believe me than test it out yourself, don't just take matt cutts word for it.

Also, I tried avoid bringing it up, but article submission links arnt the lowest you can get. The reason being is because people take the articles off the article submission website and then use the articles on there website, and your backlinks go along with the articles. The articles are duplicate content but the links are actually pretty good.

But Im not going to debate that with you, I have money to make . But I would like to know why you think google values those links amongst the lowest?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    1. If exchanging links with context relevant sites that rank well for the term you are using can can help you because it adds relevance for that term to your own site, thereby helping it's ranking, surely that's SEO? If it's not, how exactly is it helping you?
    It helps you because you are getting targeted traffic from those links. It's not an SEO benefit. It's a promotion technique. That's all. Reciprocal links may not have an SEO benefit but we all know there's more to life then SEO.

2. The problem with the excerpt from the Google guidelines which Dan posted is that it only says that 'excessive' reciprocal linking 'can' hurt you. It doesn't say it will for sure or what effect non-excessive reciprocal linking has.
    That's because they, as usual, don't want to explain exactly how they handle it otherwise they leave it open to manipulation.

So, could a reasonable number of context relevant reciprocal links help your rankings?
    Nope. But it can do wonders for your traffic, and conversions (it is targeted traffic after all), and possibly lead to more links if other related webmasters find you through those links.

No, spiders still crawl the nofollow links and give you some value, not as much as a link with nofollow. I have tested this many many times.
    They give no value to nofollow links. Ask anyone who has links in Wikipedia how much it helps. The answer is none.

Those blog posts are way old. They're obsolete. Back when nofollow first was announced the results were inconsistent. They're very consistent now.

Also, I tried avoid bringing it up, but article submission links arnt the lowest you can get. The reason being is because people take the articles off the article submission website and then use the articles on there website, and your backlinks go along with the articles. The articles are duplicate content but the links are actually pretty good.
    A page ignored for duplicate content has links ignored for duplicate content. If Google ignores the page how can the links have any value? It's not like they ignore the content and value the links. They page essentially doesn't exist. And, even if it did, why would they give links on a devalued page any strength if the page itself is worthless?

Article submissions are dead. File them just below meta tags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One way links are great!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hafsoh View Post
    One way links are great!
    I agree even better if they are related to your niche/topic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    I agree even better if they are related to your niche/topic.
    That's actually a very important requirement.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

WARAAS

Couldn't PM you, your box is full, I just got your PM for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm wondering what iframe? I don't use them.

I'm not sure what "use linking with the domain instead of xxxxxxxxxx.co.uk" means, the site is a subDomain of my webdesign site and the main ScrewtheEnvironment domain just points at it so how would I use it in links?

I do need to add titles etc, I've never actually done any SEO on that site.

JJ
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.