SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 109
  1. #76
    SitePoint Member LoudMedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 way related content links seems to be the winner right now.

  2. #77
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post
    I'm a big fan of forums posts to generate backlinks...
    For the most part, forum signature links are better for getting human eyeballs to look at your site, not search engines (though if rel="nofollow" is not used, the search engines will follow them, but the links won't be worth much from their POV).

    And by the way, welcome to SitePoint!

  3. #78
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Please remember that reciprocal links are not necessarily an evil thing. They have their place in the big picture too. Just think about it. I have a good site, you have a good site - we find out about each other and link to one another. It could be perfectly honest and appropriate.

    From Matt Cutts:

    (Source: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/2007/05/page/2/)
    Yes, but that's not SEO which is what this thread is about. A link that offers no benefits to your rankings has no SEO value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    So links in forum signatures like here at Sitepoint do count?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Would you say then that reciprocal links are a goos thing as long as they're with related sites?
    From a non-SEO perspective, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Can too many reciprocal links, even with related sites hurt you?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Nothing necessarily wrong with some reciprocal links, as long as the amount of links are not "excessive", according to Matt Cutts.
    But if you link to a link farm suddenly you run the risk of being considered part of that link farm. And reciprocal links may not hurt you, but they also don't help you. Basically doing them for SEO is pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post
    I'm a big fan of forums posts to generate backlinks...
    I'm not. They're almost worthless.

  4. #79
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but that's not SEO which is what this thread is about. A link that offers no benefits to your rankings has no SEO value.
    Can you clarify that point, please? I am talking about reciprocal linking that do offer benefit to your rankings.

    How would you know that a link to your site doesn't offer benefit to your rankings, unless it's a "no-follow" link?

  5. #80
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Can you clarify that point, please? I am talking about reciprocal linking that do offer benefit to your rankings.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread reciprocal links don't help SEO because they are devalued. They are seen as swapping votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    How would you know that a link to your site doesn't offer benefit to your rankings, unless it's a "no-follow" link?
    Links from links farm or unrelated sites are good examples of worthless links.

  6. #81
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love backlinks from forums,I have many blogs,but it is very slow to have backlinks from those blogs.

  7. #82
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    As mentioned earlier in this thread reciprocal links don't help SEO because they are devalued. They are seen as swapping votes.
    Do you have any kind of proof that would support your statement that reciprocal links don't help SEO?

  8. #83
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK Nr Manchester
    Posts
    3,460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Do you have any kind of proof that would support your statement that reciprocal links don't help SEO?
    Since it's natural for sites to reciprocal link with other sites that offer complimentary services and the link is genuine, Google won't discount that and I believe that some reciprocal links still have value.

    I'd very much like to see your evidence or understand your rationalisation too Stymiee.

    It's extremely important to me that I get to the bottom of this soon as I'm in the middle of a situation where I need to be right about this one way or the other.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

  9. #84
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Since it's natural for sites to reciprocal link with other sites that offer complimentary services and the link is genuine, Google won't discount that and I believe that some reciprocal links still have value.

    I'd very much like to see your evidence or understand your rationalisation too Stymiee.

    It's extremely important to me that I get to the bottom of this soon as I'm in the middle of a situation where I need to be right about this one way or the other.
    The rationalization of it is simple: links are seen by Google as votes. If you each ask each other to link to each others' site then you are swapping votes. That naturally contradicts the goals of Google and thus those links will devalued. That's why you only see us recommending one way links. They are pure votes and carry much more value. How much value with depend on other factors.

    They also warn against excessive link swapping. Yes, I know they use the word "excessive" but here's why: exchanging links is how some people choose to promote their site. That's fine (but there's no SEO value to it). But when you start swapping tons of links you've gone past site promotion and entered obvious SE manipulation. The only reason why say "excessive" and not "all" is some people just didn't know any better and they can't risk throwing out the baby with the bath water. That's why the links are devalued and penalties aren't applied until you get to the "excessive" phase.

  10. #85
    SitePoint Member savagefire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee, I'm stilll not seeing any proof of your statements that reciprocal links are worthless to SEO. You're just saying they are with no evidence as was asked for by other posters

  11. #86
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anouncing a batting change here. Dan Schulz will be pinch-hitting for John Conde in the bottom of the 8th inning with the score 3-0. (yes, I know that baseball season doesn't start until April)

    To answer your question, look here: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=66356

    Quote Originally Posted by Google Webmaster Guidelines
    Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity. However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

    • Links intended to manipulate PageRank
    • Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
    • Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.") (emphasis added by me)
    • Buying or selling links that pass PageRank

  12. #87
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savagefire View Post
    stymiee, I'm stilll not seeing any proof of your statements that reciprocal links are worthless to SEO. You're just saying they are with no evidence as was asked for by other posters
    Use the search feature of this forum.

  13. #88
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or look two posts above this one.

  14. #89
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Dan and Stymiee, but your replies aren't that useful to the question posed. Dan, I already linked to the Google guidelines a page ago in this thread. There is absolutely nothing in those guidelines that say that reciprocal linking don't help SEO, as stated by Stymiee.

  15. #90
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you're saying is that because the quotation I cited flat out says it can HARM your rankings (meaning SEO in layman's terms) that it doesn't say it won't help you?

    Look, if you want to search for the magic golden silver bullet that will cure all your SEO ills, that's fine by me. But don't try to spin yarn into gold because it simply won't work without some major molecular engineering (which is sitll about 50-100 years ahead of us at the current rate of technological advancement). Simply put, if it says it can harm your rankings, it means it won't help it because it can harm them.

  16. #91
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not looking for any silver bullet. I am trying to communicate that reciprocal links are not automatically bad, or automatically have no SEO value, which seems to be the standard answer here. I just don't subscribe to that point of view.

    Look at the bigger picture. If you have a brand new site, and you manage to get a link swap with a bigger, more established site than your own, great for you. The other site might be suffering from this - their PR might be lowered, the might go down in the SERP's after a while, etc - but your site would benefit from this, from an SEO perspective. You will like rise in the SERP's, and if you can continue this trend with other, bigger and more established sites in your niche, your SEO success will improve compared to where you were before that links swap, or "reciprocal linking scheme", happened. Wouldn't you agree?

  17. #92
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Look at the bigger picture. If you have a brand new site, and you manage to get a link swap with a bigger, more established site than your own, great for you. The other site might be suffering from this - their PR might be lowered, the might go down in the SERP's after a while, etc - but your site would benefit from this, from an SEO perspective. You will like rise in the SERP's, and if you can continue this trend with other, bigger and more established sites in your niche, your SEO success will improve compared to where you were before that links swap, or "reciprocal linking scheme", happened. Wouldn't you agree?
    I wouldn't agree. This wouldn't be an SEO advantage. It would just be good for your site's promotion. Two very different things. The reciprocal link won't help your rankings but will help you get targeted traffic.

    And this was already mentioned earlier in this thread. You should exchange links with sites in your genre that are very well established and rank well for the terms you want to rank well for. But those are the only sites you want to do it with. And it's not for SEO purposes.

  18. #93
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stymiee, I am pretty much done with the topic. I believe that a smart link exchange with the right sites will improve your rankings in the search engines. It will also help with targeted traffic, of course. Fact is, I have experienced this first hand myself many times, so there's not much more I can add to this. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Last edited by rotren; Dec 27, 2007 at 08:48. Reason: spelled "eyes" wrong...

  19. #94
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotren View Post
    Stymiee, I am pretty much done with the topic. I believe that a smart link exchange with the right sites will improve your rankings in the search engines. It will also help with targeted traffic, of course. Fact is, I have experienced this first hand myself many times, so there's not much more I can add to this. I've seen it with my own yes.
    Unless you've isolated all of the other possible factors for a change in rankings, and there a lots of them, you can't say for sure a link exchange helped your rankings. We've had people come in here and say the observed meta tags helping their rankings, too.

  20. #95
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketexpert View Post
    Whick type of backlink will help my serps the most?
    Directories, Forums, Blogs, Similar websites etc...
    I will tell you exactly what I do for my smaller niches.

    1. I find related websites and do a 3 way link exchange, a 3 way link exchange gives 3 one way links, which is great.

    2. I spam wikipedia for some pr 7 links

    3. I hire someone to do blog comments for the niche, everyone here will say that they dont help, oh but they do. Try and get like 100 plus of these..

    4. I purchase some links. I usually find sites with great backlinks and offer them some cash money for adding my link to a few of there pages (not sidewide)

    Remember to not build links too fast.

    If you wanna automate your links, use trackback and comment spamming to a tinyurl.com page that redirects to your website, than if google catches you they will ban the tinyurl.com url.

    I have tryed using directory's and they don't help at all really. Googles knows about them and gives them a less value. Forum links dont help that much either.

    But you should not take my word for it, test it out yourself.

    Good luck

  21. #96
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    2. I spam wikipedia for some pr 7 links
    Wikipedia uses nofollow on their external links so they have no SEO value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    3. I hire someone to do blog comments for the niche, everyone here will say that they dont help, oh but they do. Try and get like 100 plus of these..
    They only help if the blog doesn't use nofollow. Most do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    If you wanna automate your links, use trackback and comment spamming to a tinyurl.com page that redirects to your website, than if google catches you they will ban the tinyurl.com url.
    That's awful advice. I can't believe you spam people and recommend others to spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    I have tryed using directory's and they don't help at all really. Googles knows about them and gives them a less value.
    Google does not devalue directory links.

  22. #97
    Non-Member Waraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Wikipedia uses nofollow on their external links so they have no SEO value.

    They only help if the blog doesn't use nofollow. Most do.

    That's awful advice. I can't believe you spam people and recommend others to spam.

    Google does not devalue directory links.

    I was telling him what I do. That is exactly what I do with my smaller niches, with my bigger ones I do that on a mass scale plus use my wh and bh network.

    So again, that is what I do. And I do $xxx a day with seo sites.

    Oh you wont believe how much those wiki links help. Just because google says they don't give any value doesn't mean they really don't

  23. #98
    SitePoint Zealot LeabronJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think k according to the thread title that the best links are from article directories.

  24. #99
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeabronJ View Post
    I think k according to the thread title that the best links are from article directories.
    Actually it's the opposite. Article directory links are amongst the lowest value links you can get.

  25. #100
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    I was telling him what I do. That is exactly what I do with my smaller niches, with my bigger ones I do that on a mass scale plus use my wh and bh network.
    You'll get no respect here for using black hat techniques. Plus you lose any credibility you may have had.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas View Post
    Oh you wont believe how much those wiki links help. Just because google says they don't give any value doesn't mean they really don't
    That's further proof of why you give out bad SEO advice.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •