User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Just keep reading and trying to learn. Time and experience will guide you. It's not like math where 1 + 1 = 2 everywhere you go. Some common sense and deep thinking is required to weed out the fluff and nonsense that permeate SEO. If you're patient and take your time you'll be rewarded for sure.
    I've got a couple of years of low level SEO in so far, in fact I started out in SEO way back when all you had to do was keyword stuff the metatags to get No.1 on altavista but then got sidetracked into website design which I've been doing for the last 7 years or so.

I've only recently got into SEO in a serious way but want to offer it as a tandem service so I need to know what I'm talking about, I have a client base who I can use to gain experience which is handy and they're happy cos it's cheap or free for them. I'm just being careful not to make any mistakes that could get them penalized.

So far this forum has been the best SEO forum I've posted on by miles.

Thanks for your help, I hope that YOU'RE patient cos I got about a billion questions yet to come... (after I've googled them and searched the forum of course..)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you get link from high PR site then OK, otherwise not much use.. any how link from others to u is good and will increes the the PR of u

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakir View Post
    if you get link from high PR site then OK, otherwise not much use.. any how link from others to u is good and will increes the the PR of u
    Stop chasing PR! Telling people to go for PR is bad advice.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Make your Web site for your visitors (and by visitors I mean these squishy things with eyeballs called people) and stop chasing after arbitrary things that have absolutely no use outside of the advertising world.

Face it, PageRank is the new Alexa.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess each one of us has his own style. The ideas of experts may contradict each other, but keep in mind that those experts have all been successful in SEO. (though maybe some have experienced getting a site banned or two.) There are the basics to guide you, but in other things, who knows what's really true except Google? (or other search engines for that matter.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of the so called "experts" aren't experts but salesmen. Take money out of the equation and you'll see a remarkably similar pattern of ideas from SEOers.

SitePoint Enthusiast domainpubber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't a link exchange be of value if 2 sites with high PR, quality, related content have an "indirect" exchange, whereby site #1, page A links to site #2, page B, which is on topic and then Site #2, page C, links to Site #1, page D, again on topic??????

I'm probably all wet here, but I'm curious to learn more about how link exchanges can work, because getting "unsolicited" links sounds very warm and fuzzy, but I mean, really, how's an SE algo gonna know whether any link was solicited, paid for, etc. as long as the links make sense based on content relativity?

BTW - if anybody wants to link to my related sites I'm more than happy to accept your gratuities. LOL
    What's Your Genuine Site Rank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good article about links.

http://wiep.net/link-value-factors/

SitePoint Enthusiast domainpubber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JakeJeck - this is a good reference! I have read once and learned much already. It seems better when you have many opinions to compare vs. blog posts and SEO articles written by any one "expert" :-)
    What's Your Genuine Site Rank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had much luck from directory links... I would say 1 way links are definately best, but if you organise a link exchange personally instead of through a spam-like website then a high PR site linking to you is obviously still very valuable.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best link will be from similar website better if high or good PR and links from directories. I think links from blog to blog is also good....

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google pr links

I still believe in the old adage that back links from a *related* content page are more valuable than from an unrelated page.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer, Chrisranjana.com
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
    Php Developers, Ruby on Rails Developers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jainmanoj123 View Post
    I think links from blog to blog is also good....
    Search engines don't know what blogs are nor do they care. The format of the content is unimportant to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Search engines don't know what blogs are nor do they care. The format of the content is unimportant to them.
    Does that apply to the weight of a (good quality) backlink from a blog? I figured that because it's so easy to get them, Google would devalue them a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, because when you think about it there is no difference between a blog and a traditional Web site since they are both Web sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    No, because when you think about it there is no difference between a blog and a traditional Web site since they are both Web sites.
    True, they are both websites.

But I can go on any context related blog, leave a relevant comment with my backlink in it and they will nearly always get accepted. It's not a genuine link created by someone who thinks my site content is worth telling people about, it's spam dressed up as a comment.

Surely Google know this and account for it when they see a lot of backlinks from blogs to a site. If they don't they'd be stupid, and we know that they're not stupid.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google, and the other search engines, have a mechanism in place for this. If a blog doesn't want the link to have any value then the they can use nofollow. Otherwise the weight of the page will determine how strong that link is. And usually it is not very strong. Blog posting as a way to get backlinks is not a productive use of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. As I've said in countless other threads, stop trying to game the search engines and focus on making Web sites for people and writing quality relevant content that people will naturally want to link to.

Seriously, how hard is it to do that?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never understand this "get a link from sites in the same field as you". Sites in the same field as you are usually your competitors. Why the hell would I send traffic to my competitors or them, me? You need lots of content and rank high in Google.
    I have a content based website which gets all its traffic from search engines.
    It's yet another software archive, you know the drill, Softpedia, Major Geeks, the like. Why would they link to me? Directories send me no traffic at all. Less than ten visitors in a few years.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Why would they link to me?
    Because they don't think like you and put their visitors first? Some people don't think in terms of 'competitors' and will link to a page simply because they think it will benefit their visitors. I know it's a bit utopian, but if everybody did that then pages of true value would rise naturally to the top.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    linkbait springs to mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    I'll never understand this "get a link from sites in the same field as you". Sites in the same field as you are usually your competitors. Why the hell would I send traffic to my competitors or them, me?
    A link from a site that ranks well for your chosen keyword phrase carries a lot of weight.

If you have competitors in London (or even better, in a different country) who can't steal your clients cos you're in Sheffield, and vice versa for you with their clients, you can only help each other by exchanging links.
    Last edited by JJMcClure; Dec 12, 2007 at 12:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to think outside the box if you think all related sites are competitors. If I weren't so lazy I could probably spend a weekend finding and soliciting links from teachers who teach a photoshop class - definitely not competitors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back links from an article in an authority directory works. I see these in back links all the time. I've heard that Google values back links with a PR4 or higher. It's not something I know, but I read it and it sounds reasonable.
    Buy 3 permanent deep links for only $5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Exactly. As I've said in countless other threads, stop trying to game the search engines and focus on making Web sites for people and writing quality relevant content that people will naturally want to link to.

Seriously, how hard is it to do that?
    With all due respect, please don't imagine that everyone who asks how to do SEO is a spam merchant with low standards who just wants to 'game' the search engines.

I'm a website developer, I make good quality accessible and standards compliant websites. If I can increase my client's exposure and therefore their bottom line simply using what's available i.e. Google etc, why on earth wouldn't I?

I'm not looking to produce crap and somehow convince the se's that it's gold. I want to take a website that's fine as a stand alone advertising tool and then make it rank well for the potential customers who happen to look for businesses using search engines. If you need proof I'll happily PM my portfolio URL to you.