SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Important Plugin for Wordpress 2.3.1 to do...

Ok,

I'm very new to wordpress and I've been working on setting 3 of them for the past couple of weeks.

I've read the "What WordPress plugins do you use?" post and see that some of the plugin listed aren't needed in the new wordpress as some functions provided by these plugins now come packaged within the wp software.

So I'm a little uncertain as to which plugin is important to download with wp 2.3.1

This is what's important to me now:

1. URL are seo friendly and don't go too deep into directories. Maybe one or two deep at the most.

2. when I post, the major search engines, Technorati, and whatever other SE is important to ping get notified.

3. my pages are SEO optimized

4. I can add forms to my pages

5. I can add camtasia video to my pages. I know html so I can past the codes if that is all that it takes

I'm wondering at this time which plugins to upload? My understanding is wordpress 2.3.1 can do #1, #2 and I think it can do #4 and 5.

I don't know if there is a better way to do #1 with a plugin as there are some limitation with the current permalinks that comes with WP (I'm not too familiar with this feature yet)

The only plugin I think I need is the all-in-one-seo for the title tags, and I keep hearin about feedburner, which again I'm not very familiar with.

Any other recommendation or comment to stir me in the right direction. Keep in mind that I'm using wordpress 2.3.1.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Definitely feed burner feedsmith. It enables your subscribers to read your posts no matter what feed reader they use.

I haven't upgraded yet, but I also use the Share This social bookmarking plugin and the Word Press Duplicate Content Cure which makes sure that individual posts are indexed instead of the post page, which may contain several posts.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you shyflower,

I've downloaded the plugins.

Sheriff

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read some more about the "Word Press Duplicate Content Cure" and it seems that all-in-one-seo-pack does it too.

Is all in one seo pack enough?

You can see what they say at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ge/2#post-1516
    I have it installed already so at this point I don't want plugins that interfere with each other... Not sure if there is such a thing as plugins interfering with each other.

Can anywone tell me if the duplicate content cure is needed or will all in one seo do the trick?

Thanks again
    Last edited by SheriffG.Guirguis; Dec 6, 2007 at 18:51. Reason: typos

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've tried this out and I believe the SEO plugin does the same thing as the Duplicate Content plugin. They both put a META "noindex, follow" for robots in the page head information. So it looks like the DC is redundant.

what I did was look at the source of a category file with both plugins activated and with the Duplicate Plugin Deactivated.

As far as plugins getting along with each other, I imagine that sometimes they won't since some plugins aren't even compatible with WP itself. If you are installing more than one plugin, do them one at a time and then activate the newly installed plugin before you install another. At least this way, you'll know which once isn't playing nice with the other's.

The only other way to find out which plugins are rascals is to deactivate them all and then activate them each individually, (i.e. activate then deactivate #1, activate then deactivate #2, and so on).

This helps you determine whether it's the WordPress installation that they are fighting or if they are just bickering with each other.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thanks again.