SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy HELP! Problems with IE and Firefox

I have a menu dropdown that was working fine in IE and Mozilla. I must have done something and now it will not work in IE.
    Can someone please take a look at it for me and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

http://all-door-hardware.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

I appreciate it.

Daniel

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Looks like a javascript issue on first look.

Javascript isn't my area but it seems that you are excluding IE here in the dropdown js.

Code:
        if (browsername == "Netscape")
    I just changed it to != and IE started working but of course firefox stopped.

Javascript isn't my area and unless you can shed some light on when it was working and what you have changed I can't see how it can be just a css issue as such.

However I didn't look too deeply at the css because that is some very ugly code in there

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt change anything in that file. I dont remember changing anything.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I didnt change anything in that file. I dont remember changing anything.
    Hmm that's strange. Have you added other scripts since? Maybe there is a conflict.

When I put the mouse over the menu I get a javascript error on the page in IE6 saying that "Fx" is undefined. As "fx" is the dropdown code then obviously it won't work.

As I said in my first post above just changing the comparison operator makes IE6 work (also allows opera to work as well). However that makes no sense if you say it was working previously. Have you omitted or deleted another script somewhere?

I suggest you refer to the documentation where you got the script from as I think the issue must be there somewhere. Or let us know where you got the script form so we can check its set up correctly.

Do you not have any previous working versions saved so that you can compare the code. You should always save incremental back-ups so that you can backtrack.

If you have no further information then I'll move the thread to the javascript forum as I don't think its a css issue.

You should however fix the html errors in the page as the validator is showing a lot of errors. You also have a partial doctype which means you are working in quirks mode which could have some relevance to the scripts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello i checked the page, it is a javascript thingy as far as i can tell.
    anyways i just uploaded a fixed version of the js file for the menu, i tested it on firefox, ie6, ie7, safari PC, opera. its working in all those browsers.

Still if u ask me i would go for something more simple something purely built on CSS.

Hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Fouad Masoud
    http://some1ne.com

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fouad
    hello i checked the page, it is a javascript thingy as far as i can tell.
    That's what I thought and it seems you removed the comparison section as I mentioned in my earlier posts so I guess you came to the same conclusion as me

I still can't see how it was working before though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well Paul O'B at first i thought its a position thing if you know what i mean.

but when i looked into the HTML and CSS i felt like am back to mid 90s "also if u now what i mean".

i took ur note on the matter and 1s thing i did is i changed the display:none on the menu to display:block and checked it on ie, and it worked then i went into the js file and checked it, for all i know the menu should animate when its opening and closing, but i took the easy way out and only made sure that the same code works for all browsers.

i dont know about the animation coz its not working, still the menu opens now.

Cheers
    Fouad Masoud
    http://some1ne.com

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    but when i looked into the HTML and CSS i felt like am back to mid 90s "also if u now what i mean".
    lol - I was going to mention that but never for around to it

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT WORKS!!!! Thanks a lot..you guys are awesome. That saved me a headache like you wouldnt believe.
    Thanks again.
    Daniel