SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast KestrelProdigal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pagerank Question

My website's PR is at 2 at the moment, the question I have is that I am using Joomla as the backend for the site, but am going to perhaps be switching to wordpress. Will this have any effect on the PR?? I know that PR works on the number of links to your site etc. I know this might seem like a dumb question to some but I am new to PR, and advertising etc. thanks
    Blogwatts.com - Photoshop Tutorials

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PR does not have anything to do with the software. It only has to do with link popularity. It also doesn't work on a website level. It works on a page level.

Now having said that because your URLs will be changing you will need to either do a 301 redirect from every old page to its new location or else lose the PR those old pages had. If your pages aren't very well established (i.e. no links) then it won't be a big deal. But if you have lots of incoming links from other sites you'll definitely want to do those redirects or else your PR, and rankings, will suffer.

SitePoint Enthusiast KestrelProdigal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    PR does not have anything to do with the software. It only has to do with link popularity. It also doesn't work on a website level. It works on a page level.

Now having said that because your URLs will be changing you will need to either do a 301 redirect from every old page to its new location or else lose the PR those old pages had. If your pages aren't very well established (i.e. no links) then it won't be a big deal. But if you have lots of incoming links from other sites you'll definitely want to do those redirects or else your PR, and rankings, will suffer.
    Thanks very much, I will do a 301 redirect because most links on other websites are linked directly to my pages. Thanks
    Blogwatts.com - Photoshop Tutorials