SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Do you want firefox to remember this password?"

Is there a way to turn this prompt off? On the server side. I know a user can turn it off in their browser. But I thinking maybe <form> option?

Thanks.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could it ever be possible on the server side? The server is at the other end of the Internet to the client (the user, who is using the browser).

There is no way to turn it off with JavaScript either, that's why it's a preference. It would be a pretty seriously terrible design flaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    How could it ever be possible on the server side? The server is at the other end of the Internet to the client (the user, who is using the browser).

There is no way to turn it off with JavaScript either, that's why it's a preference. It would be a pretty seriously terrible design flaw.
    Auto complete can be turned off, server side. What's your point? How is giving a designer more options a design flaw?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The browser owner decides how they want their browser to work. Any options in JavaScript and server side processing that try to interfere with that can be turned off by the browser owner. Taking away the persons control of their own browser in order to give a designer more options on how to screw up the persons experience of the internet and control of their own computer is far worse than being just a design flaw. The person who owns the browser has the right to determine what they want their browser to remember for them, fill in for them, what fonts they want all web pages to use, what colour schemes they want all web pages to use and the designer has no say in the matter if the browser owner chooses to disregard the designers garbage in favour of their own preference.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    <form autocomplete="off"></form>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    Auto complete can be turned off, server side. What's your point? How is giving a designer more options a design flaw?
    This can only be turned off client side, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The browser owner decides how they want their browser to work. Any options in JavaScript and server side processing that try to interfere with that can be turned off by the browser owner. Taking away the persons control of their own browser in order to give a designer more options on how to screw up the persons experience of the internet and control of their own computer is far worse than being just a design flaw. The person who owns the browser has the right to determine what they want their browser to remember for them, fill in for them, what fonts they want all web pages to use, what colour schemes they want all web pages to use and the designer has no say in the matter if the browser owner chooses to disregard the designers garbage in favour of their own preference.
    You're right they do have that right. But as a webmaster one also has the right to set their site to work a preferred way. Your argument of "Taking away the persons control of their own browser in order to give a designer more options on how to screw up the persons experience of the internet and control of their own computer is far worse than being just a design flaw." is horrible. Let's just make everything "black and white" so that nothings gets "screwed up". Ultimately its up to the user, if he doesn't like the way the site acts, stay away from it.

Ize,
    I believe you are wrong. One can't turn it "ON" server side, if client has it disabled. But can turn if OFF, with autocomplete="off". Am I wrong?
    Last edited by Offspring2099; Mar 27, 2008 at 10:26. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ize,
    I believe you are wrong. One can't turn if "ON" server side, if client has it disabled. But can turn if OFF, with autocomplete="off". Am I wrong?
    Well, yes, but that's an HTML attribute, isn't it?
    Accomplishing something by changing the HTML code means it's done client side. It doesn't do nothing on the server. The server will never parse your HTML, it will merely print it out.

(Edit; autocomplete is an invalid attribute, actually)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ize View Post
    Well, yes, but that's an HTML attribute, isn't it?
    Accomplishing something by changing the HTML code means it's done client side. It doesn't do nothing on the server. The server will never parse your HTML, it will merely print it out.

(Edit; autocomplete is an invalid attribute, actually)
    I'm sorry when I say "server side", I meant "programmatically", the original state of the web page that the server spits out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But can turn if OFF, with autocomplete="off". Am I wrong?
    No, as said above, you can turn this functionality off with that attribute. It might be even better just to set that attribute on the password field. That is enough to not trigger the dialog and it saves the rest of the fields, such as the user name.

Give it a try!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pepejeria,

You're right. It works. Thank you.
    I ignored your original post because I thought you were telling me how to use autocomplete functionality. I didn't know that what I wanted and what I used as an example was the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy that I now know that you now know what you want.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lolz @ the ranting over this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
    lolz @ the ranting over this one
    Yes and it's all because I can't speak English.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ultimately its up to the user, if he doesn't like the way the site acts, stay away from it.
    We don't have to stay away from your site if we don't like how you made it look. All we need do is override your choices for appearance with our own and view your pages looking the way we want. The only thing the page author has absolute control over is the server side processing and the content that the server side processing generates. Any styles and JavaScript can be overridden by the person visiting. So ultimately how a site looks and acts is the visitor's choice of whether to allow the author's suggestions to stand or to replace them with their own. Where they do decide to have it look and act the way they want then the author has no say in the matter and if you don't like that then the only thing you can do about it is to provide your content in some format other than as web pages where your visitor doesn't have that level of control.

Ultimately it is up to the user. If they don't like the way your site looks and acts then they can change it to look and act the way that they want it to in their browser.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">