SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No luck meeting people in the industry

I've worked in two jobs doing web development, but these companies were contacted through Craigslist. And in both cases, I was the only person doing web-related work. I would rather want to back out of that approach and feel better landing interviews from connecting with people that know the industry from the inside. People that I know in real life. We are stronger as a group, right? But no one I know is in any need for a website, nor knows anyone that works in the industry. How can I find the hot spots for finding those progressive web-savvy people in my town? Do I need to find a new group of friends?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered social networking sites? Sites like LinkedIn are specifically established to promote this kind of networking. I'd try that and maybe see how it works out.

Another method is to check industry specific seminars, conferences, expos for in person networking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know whether you have them in the states but here in the UK we have breakfast clubs which are organised by the local chamber of commerce. It gives you a chance to meet and introduce yourself to local business people from all walks of life including web related industries.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mobyme, I'm looking for something like that. For design industries in the mass media, we have the AIGA and IGDA. Don't we have something like that for web developers? I know that the IGDA has local city groups that schedule their own meetings independently.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happens to be a pretty difficult question to answer, as I have been in a similar situation for quite a while now. It's hard to do, especially if you spend all your time either working or hanging out with existing friends at the bar. Here are a couple suggestions, though:

• Find one of the popular event-aggregation sites and use it to locate industry-specific meet-ups in your area, if any. If you don't live in a big city there's still a good chance there will be smaller "coffee shop" type meet-ups.
    • Attend a conference. Not only will you learn a lot, but you'll be more or less forced to interact with people and they'll all be from your industry. [I plan to attend a couple of these next year]
    • Depending on where you live, move. [Living in a suburb of Ohio doesn't exactly leave me rife with opportunity to build industry relationships, so I'm moving next year.]

Building industry relationships (I hate the term "networking"), like anything, gives back what you put into it. Are you willing to take the next step?

P.S. If you don't have time to look up events, places to move, etc. hire a virtual assistant to do it for you. To be honest, I don't know how people can live without them in this day and age.
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.