SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to get a server up and running I have been trying to install one with Red Hat Linux but before I can start I need a few things. That is why I'm posting.

I would like to know if any one can tell me how to go about getting a 'Nameserver IP', 'Netmask' and a 'Default Gateway'.

I already have a domain name how do I set up the IP Address if it is currently hosted on another server like Interland.net?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Furthermore if you can also provide me with some information as to where I can pick up MySQL and Microsoft Access

Thanx

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your NetMask is most likely going to default to 255.255.255.0 which actually doesn't mask anything but it works. Your NameServer IP will be the address of the DNS server your using for Lookups. Usually the same ones your using for your ISP unless you set a Name Server up on the machince then it can be whatever IP is assigned to the machine. Same thing for your Default Gateway. Set it up to what your Windows Machine is set to if your going to use the same ISP. If the linux machine is hardwired via ADSL, Cable or fractional T-1 then your provider can supply these numbers for you.

You can find MySQL at http://www.mysql.com and MS-ACCESS is available at any store that sells software. It may be more economical for you to purchase one of the Office Suites if you feel you might need those programs in the future. I believe Office Standard and MS-Access actually retail at very similar prices. Office Standard will get you Word, Excel and POwerpoint in the bargain. Office Professional includes 9 different apps and can be had for around $500 in the US.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply I think I will be able to get it up and running with your advice.