User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-engaging the client

Hello

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this were. I submitted a proposal for a web redesign and web strategy project for a big name brand , it would be a big contract for me and the feedback was very positive.

They were waiting on receiving a proposal from the person that introduced me before proceeding. On my first call I was told that they wanted me to come in for a meeting, now after receiving the other persons proposal they have decided that they don't want to take things forward and are meeting with other companies. rightly or wrongly I think it is probably because they don't want to work with the introducer.

I got the information via the sales and marketing director and it is the general manager that is making the decision. The question is, do I try to re-engage the general manager on my own (it will be by email as I suspect I will get nowhere trying to phone), or do I just send a thank you email.

WC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were waiting on receiving a proposal from the person that introduced me before proceeding. On my first call I was told that they wanted me to come in for a meeting, now after receiving the other persons proposal they have decided that they don't want to take things forward and are meeting with other companies. rightly or wrongly I think it is probably because they don't want to work with the introducer.

Just making sure I follow: You were introduced by a competitor? And you think that they don't want to deal with the competitor so they washed you out of the process as well?

I think I would email the person who is making the decisions and thank them for their considering your proposal, and if you can't work together this time you hope to offer proposals for services in the future. I'd also gently reiterate that I am an independent contractor and even though I had been introduced by X, my proposals do not include his participation in any way.

This shows that you aren't pushing to get this job but are interested in keeping their good will even if they decide to use someone else. It also emphasizes that you aren't working with or for X in any way, so that might make them reconsider your proposal for this job.

Good luck with it!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also a good way to keep you in their gunsights for if and probably when they need future work done, or know someone who does.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clnewbill View Post
    Just making sure I follow: You were introduced by a competitor? And you think that they don't want to deal with the competitor so they washed you out of the process as well?
    I was introduced by a freelance marketing consultant who was known to the organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by clnewbill View Post
    I think I would email the person who is making the decisions and thank them for their considering your proposal, and if you can't work together this time you hope to offer proposals for services in the future. I'd also gently reiterate that I am an independent contractor and even though I had been introduced by X, my proposals do not include his participation in any way.
    This is a good idea, except that I did include the marketing person in my proposal at her request - I had thought it was a done deal given her relationship with the organisation.

The initial feedback I got from them was so positive, and they were very engaged with the messages that I was giving that I think there is a small chance that I could retrieve the project.

I do need to keep positive relations with the marketing consultant as we are part of the same networking group.

WC

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quite the odd situation. So you feel you lost the job because the organization doesn't want to work with the marketing consultant even though they have a "relationship?" Is it a relationship of mutual hatred or what? And you can't go behind the marketing consultant's back and try to get the job on your own merit?

I'm not entirely sure there's anything you can do in this situation other than say thanks and drop a line about being available for future work.

"Thank you for your consideration; it's unfortunate we won't be able to work together on this project. Although, as I am an independent contractor, please feel free to contact me directly if you are interested in working together in the future."

Something like that perhaps.
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks binjured, I think they were expecting a more deliverable based proposal from the marketing consultant and I think they got a proposal that was wishy washy and didn't offer a clear set of solutions. This resulted in them reviewing what they wanted to do and deciding that they should go with a onestop marketing consultancy that offers web design. They were very happy with my proposal and wanted to meet with me before they received hers - In hindsight I think we should have been more coordinated.

I can get in touch with the end client directly, I just need to tread very carefully as I need to keep relations good with the marketing consultant as we are working together on other projects.

WC

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by web-cat View Post
    I can get in touch with the end client directly, I just need to tread very carefully as I need to keep relations good with the marketing consultant as we are working together on other projects.
    This shouldn't be an issue, for the following reasons:
    1. You're not asking for that project. You're simply making them aware you're available, sans this woman.
    2. From the sounds of it, you succeeded at your task, she failed at hers, thus you both failed. The client loss is on her shoulders.
    3. You're still a freelancer, right? It's just smart business to inform the company of your future availability and has nothing to do with her.

Bottom line, you're not doing anything to take business away from her nor are you doing anything to set her in a negative light. That's all that should matter. Next time, perhaps coordinate a bit better to ensure your partner(s) are up to the task of getting the client with you.

Cheers
    Call me Ishmael Tom.
    Nydus Media - We Build Websites.