SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Your choice!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now the happy new owner of scripting-resources.com/ . Since you all are programmers, I'd like to get your ideas for what to put on the site.

This isn't advertising because the site is not up yet and therefore I cannot get any visitors.

Here's the question...
    If you could have one type of content on a scripting site designed especially for you, what would it be? (tutorials, articles, snippets, etc.)

Thank you all very much in advance!

------------------
    -Quinn Slack
    http:/www.fourthdev.com has webmaster resources!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see an easy to understand Tutorial like those on http://www.webmonkey.com

Tutorials that can help people understand the concepts and a little history around the languages of CGI Perl and the like.

Take the user step by step from concept to planning to writing and emplimating there scripts.

Along with this I would also like to see more quality free scripts that can be downloaded.

------------------
    Bryan F. Hogan
    http://www.digitalbay.net
    bhogan@hungryweb.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would like to see more technical articles, as most of the things I see around the web, are aimed at beginners (but I guess that is what "sells").

I think a scripting comparisons might go over well with people. I.e. compare the top 10 reasons for using ASP/PHP/PERL etc. Outline what specific type of projects each product is good for.

I have done a a few sites with both ASP and PHP (and am using PHP now) - so if you need my 10 reasons for choosing php over ASP, I'll send 'em on over

In other words, set up a section/page/chart where you compare different scripting languages, rate them on ease of programming, installing, cost, flexibility, speed etc. and point out the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Just my 3 cents...

Christian

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, tutorials that are easy to understand and for all levels would put ur site apart from many others out there.

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentaly, I've already done an article comparing C, ASP, PHP and PERL at http://fourthdev.com/articles/44.htm .

I've been writing scripts like crazy recently...mostly in PERL. I'll put those up.

I agree that tutorials are very good...I'm making several.

And, one last question: Do you think the domain is good? I registered it yesterday from TotalNIC (Total is very good! Q uick also!!)

Thanks in advance

------------------
    -Quinn Slack

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChrRmr: post your reasons here... I'm interested and I think there are more

------------------
    Alan Mendelevich aka ailon
    New! ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals. Monitoring hundreds of web development related sites, daily.
    Visit MEGOPhotos - Quality photos for FREE

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK then!

Well, first off I think you can do just about anything with both languages, so the final choice comes down to taste.

* I like the php syntax better (it is like C) than the ASP syntax.
    * The php development community is a bunch of hard core geeks, which means that if you have a problem you are likely to get a very good answer in return.
    * I can easily download and run all the software on my laptop, since php3 & mySQL are both fairly small programs and run both under windows and Unix/Linux.
    * I really like the php3 logo
    * I think php and mySQL integrate better than ASP and MsSql Server 7 (or whatever number they are up to now). And surely, mySQL is much more powerful than using access.
    * php runs on Unix/Linux servers, which I like better than NT.
    * php4 with Zend has just come out, and it looks great...
    * php developers have great resources made available to them for free, such as phpMyAdmin and phpAds from the phpWizard.
    * I can run php3 without going through the server. This is great when I need to run scripts that take a looooong time.
    * php compiles as a module of Apache, the web's favorite server.
    * Finally, and possibly most important, the software in free! That means I can get 50 MB of space on a good host with php3 and mySQL server for just $15 a month! 50MB with ASP and MsSql Server will run you from $50 to $100.

This is not an attack on ASP or NT, these are just some of the reasons why I personally prefer php.

Christian

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is not an attack on ChrRmr or PHP this is my opinion about your reasons

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    I like the php syntax better (it is like C) than the ASP syntax.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can use JScript in ASP which syntax is like C and I think even more like C than PHP

The php development community is a bunch of hard core geeks, which means that if you have a problem you are likely to get a very good answer in return.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same is true about ASP and you can get even more technical articles etc. about ASP than PHP atleast I've found more.

I can easily download and run all the software on my laptop, since php3 & mySQL are both fairly small programs and run both under windows and Unix/Linux.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PWS with Access mdb file also not to heavy

I really like the php3 logo
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No comment

I think php and mySQL integrate better than ASP and MsSql Server 7 (or whatever number they are up to now). And surely, mySQL is much more powerful than using access.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about views, nested selects etc. in mySQL ? You can do it in access, not talking about stored procedures, triggers etc. in MS SQL

php runs on Unix/Linux servers, which I like better than NT.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To personal

php4 with Zend has just come out, and it looks great...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True... Win2K with ASP3.0 is max. 1 month ahead.

php developers have great resources made available to them for free, such as phpMyAdmin and phpAds from the phpWizard.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are also great free asp scripts: AdMentor, StatMentor, etc.

* I can run php3 without going through the server. This is great when I need to run scripts that take a looooong time.

* php compiles as a module of Apache, the web's favorite server.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What do you mean ?

Finally, and possibly most important, the software in free! That means I can get 50 MB of space on a good host with php3 and mySQL server for just $15 a month! 50MB with ASP and MsSql Server will run you from $50 to $100.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$10 for 50Mb with Access. Or 5Mb with Access for FREE.

Alan.

P.S. Remember this is just a friendly conversation

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll show you friendly!! (just kidding).

Yes, I know that there are a lot of good ASP related sites out there and that a lot of giant site use ASP. Furthermore, I think that ASP is probably considered the "major" language for server side scription, where as php is the little new kid in town.

As for the hosting, I don't think you can run a site with a lot of database hits using access. Access was build to be a desktop database and thus has problems serving a lot of concurrent users. Please correct me if I am wrong on that one. As a result, sites will quickly have to move to SQL Server which starts costing big bucks.

I have also done local development using PWS and Access, but that requires you to buy access, which I do not have on my laptop.

Anyway, I better stop now before we get too far off topic. But d3v, I guess you can host a "friendly" match between ASP and php developers

Christian

As a final note, I don't really think it matters much what language you use. What matters is the quality of your code and site.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't visit any site that only offered one of the offered choices very often. Too many sites already just offer snippets or articles. If you offered all (tutorials, snippets, articles, etc...) then I would definately bookmark the site if the content is good. It seems people want more of a server side focus. That would be good because to many sites focus on client side technologies.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChrRmr: We currently get 1000-2000 hits a day and the site is based on Access with heavy use of database. I hope it will survive until 10000-20000 and at that point I hope moving to SQL Server host will not be a problem in terms of $$$

Anti offtopic: Oh yes d3v... Very good point by wluke.. Focus on server-side scripting... Client side was discussed and redescussed all over the web... However server-side stuff requires more knowledge and probably more staff because there are to many technologies for one guy.

------------------
    New! ArticleCentral.com - The content directory for web professionals. Monitoring hundreds of web development related sites, daily.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alion, I like your site and visit it every day.

If you get that many hits a day with good performance, then I was probably wrong about the Access performance issue.

Christian

[This message has been edited by ChrRmr (edited January 19, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point on the server-side languages only post. I think I will stick to 'em afterall.

Also, I have the choice of getting NT or UNIX. I know VisualBasic very well and a bit of VBScript and JScript, but I also know PERL, PHP, and C. Which one do you think would be best? I plan to make extensive use of databases for everything.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
    -Quinn Slack

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you want to contribute server-side scripting articles, drop me an e-mail and we can discuss terms, etc.

qslack@fourthdev.com

Thanks!

------------------
    -Quinn Slack

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    d3v: It's impossible to decide what is better, this is very personal. I think you should choose between PHP and ASP. Perl is OK but I think it's a bit archaic and it wasn't developed specially for the web. Other choices like ColdFusion etc. have smaller communities and less hosting choices which is not good imho.

------------------

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. PHP and ASP look like they are the future. Even with Embedded PERL that community will find features lacking in the future. Both PHP and ASP are new technologies built with Databases, HTTP and E-Commerce in mind. That would be a good focus. You could cover both but it is a good idea to focus on the one you know the best or willing to put the time into learning. Right now PHP has a broader potential market as its available for Unix, Linux, Windows and (I think) Macintosh whereas ASP is still a Windows only technology.

AS for Access.. It is slow but the underlying Jet Database Engine is very fast and robust. Since ASP driven sites can access (no pun intended) the records directly through ODBC calls then you don't have to load the overhead of the application for web access. This makes Access a good point to design your tables, relationships and queries so that you have a good visual picture of your data. The fact that you can convert your database to SQL (not just microsoft but any engine) at a later point makes this a perfect starting point for any business.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.