User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Marketing

I know this may seem strange to many people but I don't know the first thing about internet marketing. I'm interested to learn as much as possible on the subject and would be grateful for any advice on how & where to begin. I've made the usual beginner's mistake of overloading myself with so much information from so many sources that I simply haven't a clue where to start.

Could anyone, for example, refer me to a site where I could receive individual coaching (preferably at not too high a price)?

Any help would be warmly appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be difficult to find personal coaching on internet marketing at a reasonable price simply because there are very few people who do it and we aren't cheap. I'd suggest you try researching, reading and asking questions on sites like sitepoint to gain a base knowledge and then see if working with a consultant would make sense.

As far as where to start -- why not pick a single discipline to get acclimated with. You could begin with CPM advertising or CPC, or search, email, lead or generation, or take an at entirely different approach and work on analytics, measurement and results. Either way by looking at one portion of online marketing you'll learn the terminology as well as where it interacts and intersects with other types of marketing which lends to the next topic and so on and so on.

A few great sites (besides sitepoint):

- MarketingSherpa.com
    - Clickz.com
    - Internet Retailer
    - Shop.org
    - Omniture.com (read their whitepapers & studies)
    - VisualSciences.com (same as above)
    - Offermatica.com (same as above)
    - Hitwise.com (same as above)
    - The Bazaarvoice Blog
    - The Zaaz Blog

A few great books:
    - Actionable Web Analytics
    - Email Marketing By the Numbers
    - Any Marketing Sherpa Book
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted S thanks for the great resources. I too have bitten off more than i can chew. But which discipline to start with...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's your site? that'll help

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are tons of resourecs online, the hardest part i found was detecting the BS from the genuine quality info

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by honestandy View Post
    there are tons of resourecs online, the hardest part i found was detecting the BS from the genuine quality info
    You're clearly reading the wrong sites... Marketing is all about BS. So ignore any site that tries to make it sound otherwise.
    - Ted S

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marketing is all about BS.
    Huh? Where did that statement come from? Sure you don't want to edit that one? Marketing "in truth" is being so empassioned with something society needs that you won't rest until you've tested and tried every possible means to get the word out that it exists and that everyone within that target audience MUST have it or they're living life less than its fullest potential!!

Doorkeeper833, one thing I've learned in 13 years of doing this stuff is that Internet marketing requires time. You either do it yourself, hire someone to do it for you or discover someone else has done it.

If you're really serious about getting into the Internet marketing mix, you need to dedicate yourself to continuous education over a period of years. That means buying books and cd's, attending seminars and webinars, getting subscribed to people's lists and actually reading their e-mail sends to analyze how they do it. Don't look for a coach......look for a "mentor"...and there is a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a good place to start is selling on eBay and registering a Paypal account to get started. It will boost your confidence because its not so difficult to make a first sale there.
    http://www.antosch-and-lin.com - Language Learning

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you trying to market?
    It all depends on which site you are trying to market.
    If you hang out at webmaster forums, you'll get a few trips and you have to try them and see what's work for you. It's trial and error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keyword: Traffic.
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm.. spam?

As for marketing I see it as typical to any type of work. The more you put in the more you'll get out. So if you may feel overloaded at the start just keep at it and put all your energy into learning the different practices, soon you'll get to grips with things.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advices given. Stick on the thing that you like to do most. You can market anything in the internet and marketing what you love will really make the job more fulfilling.

For example, you like writing articles. Just write articles that you think others might get interested in reading too. At the beginning, with handful of articles that you have written, its normal that a few will only read it. But as time goes when your article are being quoted and referenced then it will market itself in the net.

So I suggest that search yourself on whatever thing you like to do most in the internet and that is what you will market. As for me, if ever the article that I made is not read, I still have no worries because I love to do it and its just like a hobby.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To learn Internet Marketing you need to learn marketing, in general, first. Take a course or read an book (or ebook) from Dan Kennedy and get to know Seth Godin's stuff.

Once you have a fairly good handle on marketing principles, you can confidently delve into internet marketing. The same principles apply on and off the internet. The only difference is that with internet marketing you'll run into terms isoteric to internet marketing such as:

SEO (search engine optimization),
    Social Bookmarking (social marketing or social networking),
    Viral Marketing (usually called "buzz marketing" off the internet),
    Affiliate Marketing, and
    Email Marketing

Someone above mentioned that learning marketing (or internet marketing) takes time. Nothing could be more true.

Best thing to do is to learn A principle and then put it into action. Then, try another principle and put it into action, and so forth. The best way to learn is to actually try something, stumble, and then try again. You can tweak as you go.

Heidi

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    Huh? Where did that statement come from? Sure you don't want to edit that one? Marketing "in truth" is being so empassioned with something society needs that you won't rest until you've tested and tried every possible means to get the word out that it exists and that everyone within that target audience MUST have it or they're living life less than its fullest potential!!

Doorkeeper833, one thing I've learned in 13 years of doing this stuff is that Internet marketing requires time. You either do it yourself, hire someone to do it for you or discover someone else has done it.

If you're really serious about getting into the Internet marketing mix, you need to dedicate yourself to continuous education over a period of years. That means buying books and cd's, attending seminars and webinars, getting subscribed to people's lists and actually reading their e-mail sends to analyze how they do it. Don't look for a coach......look for a "mentor"...and there is a difference.
    Well said!

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing to do is to learn A principle and then put it into action.
    My suggestion is to learn a single "system" instead of just a single principle. Find someone that has already gone the route you want to travel and simply apply their system to your market.

First thing it sounds like you need to do is really narrow down what you're wanting to do online. Do you want to sell a product online? Do you want to self publish a book and sell it online? Do you want to start a membership site? Do you want to offer professional services and use the web to get leads? Do you want to sell other peoples' products? For any type of medium there is at least one person that has made a fortune online doing just what you are wanting to do. Discover their system and model after it.

There is so much available nowadays about marketing on the web, it would be much easier to start from scratch than even 5 or 6 years ago. Be confident---Your ramp-up time will be much shorter and your "trial-and-error" time will be less than what us old farts had to go through in the beginning when there were no models to follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about Google Adwords? I would say this is the #1 Internet Marketing option (besides SEO).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by and5rey View Post
    And what about Google Adwords? I would say this is the #1 Internet Marketing option (besides SEO).
    Understanding SEM is a vital part of internet marketing but as with all marketing techniques, it can not be executed in a silo hence the need to learn in a linear manner rather than trying to go module by module or tactic by tactic. What I mean by this is to be successful at SEM you need good copy and offers leading to high converting landing pages. From the landing page you have to be sure your sales funnel is optimized to insure the customer doesn't call out. Trying to learn just one of these areas at a time inevitably means not understanding the full picture as you go along.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say marketing is all bs, that is certainly not true. There are plenty of really good programs out there. While most of them are not going to turn you into an overnight millionaire, if you work them properly they can turn you a good profit.

I am a strong believer in knowing all you can about a subject and even programs that are not as comprehensive as others often have some gems in there worth digging for. At least that's what I've found over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a look at IM as a trial and error undertaking. There's no better way to learn IM than implementing the vast techniques and experiencing firsthand what works for your niche and what doesn't. There are lots of resources on the net for IM - forums, e-books, the list goes on... Research, Understanding, prioritizing, implementation, patience, analysis and adjustment are some factors you would needing in the marketing arena
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    e-marketing group on ma.gnolia.
    http://ma.gnolia.com/groups/Mio-Marketing

good place to start searching for quality links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ted S thanks for the great resources.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think keyword research and Seo are the 2 top things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, There are diverse range of marketing tools, strategies over internet. few of them which are worth of referrring . . . . . .

Searching : Is very good if your meta is set very carefull
    email : plays very vital role but expensive
    Ads : very storng and highly revenue generating way of marketing over internet

The Faxi!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My blogs don't even have meta tags I don't think. They are wordpress blogs, I optimized for keywords, use social bookmarking sites like technorati, google, yahoo an delicious and use technorati tags. they are nice and simple and basic but they do well anyways.

I am not currently using google ads, I know there are some very different takes on whether they are worth it or not. Some swear by it and others not so much, I think that if you want to use google ads then you need to know what you're doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to make money you can use Google Adwords. If you have a local business providing a service, you should submit yourself to the local directories, or even consider PPC or Featured Sponsored Listings.

Keep in mind that organics is still where it's at though. Something like 80% of clicks are from organics. Don't quote me on that percentage though!