SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Disable <base ref> from being used

I am looking for a script that can be place on my Web site to disable the <base href> tag from being used by another web site when linking to my site. The use of this tag can seriously inflate someone's traffic statistics. Does anyone know of any such script?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite sure what you mean by this. How did you arrive at the conclusion that <base> allows unscrupulous webmasters to inflate their stats?

Anyway, it's a bit of a moot point given that sites that rely on any method to artificially boost traffic are really shooting themselves in the foot. It's a pointless endeavor, to me, and I don't think it's something you should be too terribly worried about.

If you're talking about breaking frames, there're a ton of little JavaScripts that can do that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have clients (hotels) that pay to have links on tourism directory sites. The cost of the links is proportional to the number of visitors received. Instead of just linking, some sites store a copy of the client's index.html, but not their images. They use the <base> tag to pull the images, as needed. As each image is requested, it counts as a visit (this report doesn't count unique visitors) on their stats. Thus 10 images counts as 10 visits. It skews the reports.

Sorry about the double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I know of doing what you are after is to make changes to the .htaccess files for your clients. You can set it up so that images can't be leeched from another server.

It's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut type solution, but it will work.