SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mobile Web, do you believe the hype?

I am doing a research essay for a university project.

This is the question I am researching:

Is the Mobile Web really going to be as popular as experts are predicting?

As you are involved in the Web Development/Design Community, I would like to get your views on this subject.

Thank you in advance,

MB Designs.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, I'm not sure about the definition "Mobile Web". I often use my mobile to check my email or just browse same sites I browse on my computer (SPF for instance). If Mobile Web is the same web accessed in mobile, it sure has the future. Being able to be online anywhere and everywhere is a big step forward. However, if Mobile Web is sites designed specifically for mobile phones, it is going nowhere, I think; you can already access almost the same web as you would on a computer, and that is only improving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My room mate has the Iphone and while it is great and all that I would rather browse the internet on my Desktop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your imagination...
    Doesn't everyone want to start Mr. Coffee at the office from their home?
    Logo Design & Identity Branding Consultant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies.

Sorry I may have not made my question clear. I mean accessing the web via a mobile phone, PDA or other portable device. For years now experts have been predicting the mobile internet to be the next big thing.

In my research I am looking into whether this will really be as big as they say or is this just hype so to speak.

I know this is no small subject, there are many things to take in to account when researching this question. I will post my personal opinion on this subject later, I do not want to influence others at this stage.

Below are some of the issues I have come across:

Infrastructure

Cost

Usability

Interoperability

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'mobile web' isn't such a big deal, but the whole idea of providing apps and useful things to mobile users is huge. Surfing the net on my PDA sucks, but having my podcasts automatically synced to my phone without having to connect to a PDA is awesome.

There is BIG BIG BIG business coming for people who create useful apps for mobile devices, imo. Having a mobile version of a website isn't enough - it's just not that big of a deal to be able to read a site on a phone/pda since it's more comfortable and easy to do it at home. But, for someone like me being able to get real-time flight delay information or GPS enabled directions in a city that is new to me - that is seriously useful.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost EVERYONE I know in the UK now uses their mobile for web access on the move. The two biggies would be Facebook and MSN, Add to that the fact that many mobile networks and producers are shouting about the ability to "call for free" on their phones using Skype, and I think the question should be "in which year did your lecturers actually write that question?".

It already IS a big thing. At least in the UK, don't know if it's perhaps cost prohibitive elsewhere...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS