Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BizRate Email Marketting - Anyone?

Hey,

Next week, my fragrance eCommerce is going to be featured on BizRate.com's [Shopzilla] targeted email sent out to around 1 million double opt-in newsletter subscribers. The people are users that signed up to get emails for promotions in the Health and Beautey category.

I get some nice coverage within the email, including a large banner and lots of text.

This is my first time doing such large scale advertising. I mean 1 million subscribers, that's big. Not sure what exactly to expect, its a big risk, but also a great opportunity if it works out.

Going to have a lot of orders on one day.

Anyone ever done this kind of thing, and what were the results [CTR, conversion]?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i m totally don't accept with e-mail marketing
    because result is not good
    you may send 1 million e-mail and you may receive 10K visitors but you will not receive more than 50 orders at all
    because e-mail marketing is an unwanted ad .
    have you ever checked your spam box e-mails?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharibe View Post
    i m totally don't accept with e-mail marketing
    because result is not good
    you may send 1 million e-mail and you may receive 10K visitors but you will not receive more than 50 orders at all
    because e-mail marketing is an unwanted ad .
    have you ever checked your spam box e-mails?
    While unsolicited advertising gets fairly poor response rates, that's not what this member is doing in the least. What's going on here is an opt-in permission based and recurring newsletter with ads & offers that's being sent to what I would assume is a fairly high quality list. An opt-in newsletter is by definition not an unwanted ad -- those who don't want it tend to optout or be removed by an inactivity filter in a good list.

As for the results, to say they're aren't good is just flat out wrong. A poorly designed message sent to a bad list without a good offer won't preform, but email is by far one of the most effective methods of marketing on the web when done right and with permission.

------

Tomer, because you're in a newsletter rather than having your own dedicated email you'll likely see the open rates are higher but there's significantly less response than you'd get from a private message since you're competing for share of voice.

A typical optimized email sent to a frequently contacted list will see open rates ranging widely anywhere from 15 to 40% based on how people signed up and how compelling the offers are. Given the time of year but also the way in which I think BizRate gets email, I'd suspect an open rate of 20-25%. From there the CTR is going to swing widely based on placement, how many other promotions are there, whether or not you have an image that loads above the fold, what your headline copy and call to action or offer is. Under the assumption that it's a fairly short message, you have a good offer and being featured means you're getting a major share of voice, a conservative CTR would be in the range of 1-2%.

Because this is new customer acquisition, conversion rates will also be much lower than if you were emailing your own former customers or even prospects who signed up directly on your site.

However, with all that said, even with a fairly poor conversion rate you should still see more than a hundred sales and given the time of year and assuming you have a well working site with a compelling enough offer, there's no reason why you can't get several times that. Email marketing is all about the volume but ShopZilla doesn't continue to get people in their newsletter because it's junk -- whether or not you meet your necessary ROI goals is a function of a lot of factors but I'd certainly say you've got a good shot and getting a nice return.

And of course, the biggest thing you have going for you right now is timing -- it's the middle of the holiday shopping season with full court press on finding gifts before online shopping is cut off. Hopefully there's enough men in the list to snag some easy "for the wife/girlfriend" sales too.

If you have a creative brief or url for your landing page (you do have a custom landing age for this promotion i assume) let me know and I may be able to give you some better estimates on forecasts here.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot Ted! You just lifted my mood.

Well the list is targeted to people who decided to get the email offers in the Beautey category, and are double opt-in.

My contact at BizRate told me the average click rate was 3,000. Which is 0.3%. I knew that sounded too low. Most companies don't market well at all, with "average" banner graphics and copy. I plan to get very nice looking graphics and great holiday deals. So I would probably be getting higher CTR than the average merchant.

Here is a sample of the newsletter:
    http://akamai.bizrate.com/email/samp...ty_070817.html

I will be replacing "YogaToes", I will have a large banner above the fold with lots of text and small image.

I also send promotions to my own customers, by with that I get around 20% open rate, with only a few % re-ordering.

I'm also currently using A/B testing to get the best landing page, to increase order conversion.

So all in all, I'll probably see 5k visitors. My usual conversion rate is around 3%, meaning 150 orders, but because I'm getting a BizRate endorsement and holiday season, I'll expect 5%, so 250 orders - and that means big profits. May need to hire some help with the orders. I'll get some people on standby if it gets too much for me.

Just in case, I already planned to move the site from a average shared host to a VPS tomorrow, to get ready to handle the extra traffic. Imagine if my site fell at the start. Yikes, can't let that happen.

So anyways hoping for the best. The email goes out on 12/5, right in the high tide of Christmas shopping.

I'll update the thread with results after the big day

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you have a good grip on the campaign and a decent placement.

Two suggestions for you... make your banner offer driven. People click on offers which gets them to your site and lets them decide there... more clicks and a lower conversion rate is almost always better than less clicks and more conversion. If you can throw in something about holiday gifts, and what sort of products you have, even better.

For your landing page, reinforce the BizRate brand and connection as much as you can. That probably means showing the bizrate seal well above the fold with the offer reiterated right away. A few best sellers, a link to your gift guide and some category links can help fill out the page.

Good luck!
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    It sounds like you have a good grip on the campaign and a decent placement.

Two suggestions for you... make your banner offer driven. People click on offers which gets them to your site and lets them decide there... more clicks and a lower conversion rate is almost always better than less clicks and more conversion. If you can throw in something about holiday gifts, and what sort of products you have, even better.

For your landing page, reinforce the BizRate brand and connection as much as you can. That probably means showing the bizrate seal well above the fold with the offer reiterated right away. A few best sellers, a link to your gift guide and some category links can help fill out the page.

Good luck!
    Do you have any examples of offers? Like coupons and promotions?

Great ideas for the landing page, I'll build the page tonight. Also need to get the gift guide online. That's the problem while you're still small, you got to do everything yourself. You should see the size of my "to-do" list - trying to get everything done before other stuff pile up.

This is very exciting, I got to make this perfect. Try to get as much customers, or if not, then newsletter subscribers. Although maybe trying to get emails is not exactly going to help the idea of getting customers.

Thanks again!
    - Tomer

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    Do you have any examples of offers? Like coupons and promotions?
    I archive promotional emails from about 30 major etailers that target women, if you'd like some highlights of their promos drop me a PM.

Otherwise you have two main format options -- the classic image with your logo/ name, your offer and some sense of urgency or, what a lot of sites like doing these days, is a coupon-like message using text (so it shows up even if they don't download images for the email) with a cut-out coupon looking border. Since people are use to these being coupons they get a lot of eye play and since you're so text heavy, you can include more details... like your offer (Save 25% at XYZ this week only!<br>Savings good on a, b & product types. Visit our website and use coupon code BizRate....).

Either should work, it's just a matter of the type of branding and feel you'd like to come across with.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey I am looking for a good way to promote my business through email marketing. Can someone help me with finding a good email software?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey lawless, I also had that problem and searched for something good.

I'm now using a email service at verticalresponse.com which works good. They work better than an application on your server, because their sending domain is white listed by the large email companies [AOL, Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail], so they have very good delivery rates [99%]. That is due to them reviewing each email that is sent out. The prices are cheap, it works per email [0.015 each]. I would suggest them, works great for me.

- Tomer

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tomer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    I archive promotional emails from about 30 major etailers that target women, if you'd like some highlights of their promos drop me a PM.
    Boy Ted, and I thought I had some rather weird hobbies!

Tomer - please let us know how you make out in the end here. It sounds like you're doing all the right things and I hope this promotion is a big success for you!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve,

Yeah the email goes out on Wednesday.

Already moved the site to a VPS, so ready for big bursts of traffic.

Just finished my landing page actually<snip>. Not sure how good it is, I don't really like it, but let me know what you think.

Very exciting stuff - hopes it pays off!

- Tomer
    Last edited by Shyflower; Dec 4, 2007 at 06:43. Reason: sorry: no links to your promotions or sites allowed except in your signature.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Boy Ted, and I thought I had some rather weird hobbies!
    Hah! Well, they say everyone collects something.

In all seriousness, I encourage anyone who works with etailers to archive as many mailing lists as they can. Great for future referance and you even find a deal worth acting on every now and then.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good idea Ted, just yesterday I went to all my competing site and signed up for their newsletters. Now I can see all the promotions they do and try to follow up.

BTW, if anyone is interested in viewing my landing page for this campaign, shoot me a PM for the link.

- Tomer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the quality and deliverability of the list. Depends on how many if an other fragrance offers have been sent to the list recently. What are they charging?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm probably first fragrance email in a week or two.

Actually there will be a competitor of mine in the same email, but the store is NOT only fragrances. It's a large beauty site, fragrances is ONE of the things they sell. So got to wait to see what they're selling on the ads [each time they target a different category]

The spot costs around $2,000. Only three spots.

- Tomer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you not spend $2000 on advertising on other websites?
    What were your results?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there's no reason not to try this. The people here are ready to purchase [shopping website], Regular websites is not.

The email is being sent tomorrow, Friday early morning [PST]. I'll post results.

------------------------------------

I need some opinions here. On my landing page, my goal is to get sales, obviously. But I was wondering if I should put up the newsletter sign up sheet, so I can also get email addresses [to email later]. Will this reduce the number of sales? Any opinions?

Thanks

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll gain the benefit of some lead capture but it will impact sales as you're taking real estate away from promotions and diluting the call to action/ message.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Common sense would tell me to let it go and focus on sales, but I can get thousands of leads that way, without letting go of TOO many sales.

I think I'll use A/B testing to show the form one one version, and calculate the conversion rate on both live. If I see it doesn't impact at all, I'll put only one version. I will be monitoring it very carefully through the high hours.

- Tomer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tomer, how were the results? Did this go out on Wednesday this week, or is it next Wednesday. Certainly interested to know of the response versus cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email was sent out today - got already 1,000 visitors or so - not going so good yet. I hope I'll get more in the next few days.

- Tomer

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately email has a very short tail -- most of the traffic comes quickly. However, on the plus side, visitors are typically taking around a day to order now so you may still see those sales.

It's odd they sent this out on a Friday which is typically considered one of the worst days for email. I guess they figure the holiday season will offset that... or perhaps for their list, the norm is not the case.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah too bad it was on a Friday. So far, I made 25&#37; of what was spent on advertising, so still at a loss for now. :/

I also made a mistake in pricing. I think I gave away a bit too much coupons and special deals, thus resulting in fewer profits. I think in the future - I should give away free shipping OR 15% coupon, not both. :/

Maybe I can still salvage the situation and change some stuff around.

- Tomer

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    Yeah too bad it was on a Friday. So far, I made 25% of what was spent on advertising, so still at a loss for now. :/

I also made a mistake in pricing. I think I gave away a bit too much coupons and special deals, thus resulting in fewer profits. I think in the future - I should give away free shipping OR 15% coupon, not both. :/

Maybe I can still salvage the situation and change some stuff around.

- Tomer
    Only you can say just how much of an incentive you can afford to give people here Tomer, but most of the big marketers I know pay good money for their new clients and it's sometimes not until the 2nd or 3rd order that they start making money from them.

This is where you need to know the lifetime value of your typical customer and figure out how much you can afford to pay for each of your new customers. It's typically much less expensive to sell to an existing client than it is to a new one, so have you sent any special offers to your house list lately?