SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is paid traffic a problem with CPM networks?

I was thinking about buying some traffic, but before I do I wanted some advice. I am a member of a few CPM ad networks. I would think that they would take a dim view of me sending paid traffic to me site. Do you think that I would I be correct in this assumption? I don't want to burn the bridge with them just to get a few possible extra visitors. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Ren

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    be careful - Nixxie terms say: "In addition, in order to maintain quality of traffic there must be no over reliance on other PPC engines as main traffic source for the site’(s) themselves." - the phrase "no over reliance" suggests its not a problem in small (its relative of course) numbers.

Use your judgement - perhaps do a test to see how things work out?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Better yet, why not contact them directly and ask them since they are the best ones to answer this question?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Better yet, why not contact them directly and ask them since they are the best ones to answer this question?
    I was planning on doing that, but, considering that tomorrow is Saturday, I thought you guys might be able to give me answer before they got around to it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i would not bother buying traffic. You might loose what you earned already if they do not like it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, they probably do not allow traffic from GPT sites, some can offer you up to 10,000 incentive clicks to your site for about $1, and those are really, really bad quality traffic..
    Charles Gavet, Affiliate Manger, CPALead.com
    HIGHEST PAYOUTS | ROCK SOLID PAYMENTS | REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    BEST PERFORMING OFFERS | TOOLS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE
    60+ INCENTIVE OFFERS

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paid traffic is totally fine as long as it's adwords traffic, YPN traffic, your ad for a monthly fee on other sites, etc.

But traffic where you are paying people 0.01 cents to visit your site, then that is not allowed as they will only go to your site because you are paying them and not because they saw your ad on another site. This also includes traffic exchanges, auto exchanges, etc.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john278 View Post
    Paid traffic is totally fine as long as it's adwords traffic, YPN traffic, your ad for a monthly fee on other sites, etc.

But traffic where you are paying people 0.01 cents to visit your site, then that is not allowed as they will only go to your site because you are paying them and not because they saw your ad on another site. This also includes traffic exchanges, auto exchanges, etc.
    John, thanks. This was a very helpful reply. I had wondered if buying an ad on a site would be a problem because of the sudden boost in traffic. I thought they might think it odd that I suddenly had so many more visitors. Judging by your post, it doesn't appear as though that would be a problem.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shouldn't really be a problem, but it's normally best to tell your ad providers where the traffic is coming from as a few ad networks do not check things out enough and my suspend your account without looking to much into why you have had a sudden increase in traffic. In other words, there could be a large majority of their ad network publishers that send good quality steady traffic and then they may have a few from time to time where they have a little bit of traffic and then a large spike. Now if they have always normally found that the publishers have found a method that do not follow their TOS and the publisher is trying to get away with it, then maybe they think you are just another one like them many.

I normally just leave my sites traffic increase steadily, but if I were to start advertising where I knew that my traffic is likely to increase dramatically, then I would let my ad networks know just to be on the safe side.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stay away with CPM traffic... it is so tempting to get your ad on a specific site (for Google Adwords)... but your return rate, unless your cpm is incredibly low, will almost never equate.

With Adwords, you can do well, or loose your shirt. Its actually like gambling a bit I suppose... you can win, and you can loose... but don't sit at the poker table unless you know how to play.
    Rich
    SmartFeed Product Feed Manager
    http://www.productfeedmanager.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would contact them to be sure, not buy traffic before.