SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some help diagnosing a problem...

Hello everyone,

My computer was fine and has been fine for nearly two years now, then the other day it wouldn't boot up and a high pitched noise was coming from the PSU (which had never happened before).

The fans would spin and the light on the front would flash. After a few seconds it would turn itself off, or it would continue with no beeps or posts.

I changed over the PSU (but i only had a spare 300w available and my original one was 580w). This allowed me to boot up but it would beep twice and then nine short beeps. I checked the codes online and found out it is most probably to do with CMOS or BIOS.

If i reset the CMOS and boot i can get in to windows fine, but once i power down, the problem occurs again and then i have to do the same again.

My specs:
    PSU: Hiper 580w Type-R Series
    Memory: OCZ, PC3200, 2x1gb
    HDD: 500gb Western Digital Sata II config (primary) and 160gb Seagate IDE config (slave)
    CPU: AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ (ADA3500DAA4BW) OEM Skt 939
    Mobo: ASRock (939DUAL-SATA2) ALi 1695 Chipset PCI Express 8 Channel sound LAN ATX
    GFX: 7900GTO MSI PCI-Express

---

So, my questions to you all is:
    1. Has my PSU died? (i think it has).
    2. Because i used a 300w supply would this affect the CMOS if there is not enough power etc?
    3. If i get my PSU replaced will this solve the problem?

---

Any questions, just ask. All help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried limiting the number of items hooked up to the 300 PSU? Should not be a big problem. I would try and upgrade your BIOS and see if that helps.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the 300W PSU you have in there doesn't have enough power to push what you have going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

jgsketch: I thought about that, but i haven't really had the time to do it.

binarysys: I thought this too.

I think i will just have to wait for a reply to my e-mail from Hiper (it would be easier if they had a ticket system!) then see if the replacement changes things.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone has had a similar experience i would like to hear what happened.