SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard cpvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Telling people how much you make?

    I love telling people how much I make from my websites, but now I might stop telling people how much I make - and try to focus on making even more money.

    So, why do you tell people how much you make? Well, when I told people; I did it to show people how easy it is to make money on the web.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

  2. #2
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,807
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do it cos I'm showing off
    The internet isnt the only place to make tons of money very quickly
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot Gharibe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NY | US
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tons of money ?

    when you say tons of money ?

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is someone asking me how much I make, I just answer "enough"

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard cpvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    I do it cos I'm showing off
    The internet isnt the only place to make tons of money very quickly
    Really? Who do you tell?
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

  6. #6
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    spikeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    13,807
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    people who ask what I am doing now. I dont go bragging about it though as thats just plain rude!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

  7. #7
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, that's just too embarrasing

  8. #8
    SitePoint Wizard cpvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Oh no, that's just too embarrasing
    ...But you're a coder you should make loads
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

  9. #9
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like doing it for a variety of reasons.

    In real life I tell my parents, and of course my wife, and thats it. I tell my parents because they will not be jealous of me nor think I'm bragging to them. If other immediate family are in the room they might hear, but I never actually tell them.

    I make enough money to be uncomfortable when explaining to others how much I make. When you know someone makes 1/10th what you do you don't really fell good mentioning it to them. If they ask (and they usually don't) I'll say "a good amount" "I do pretty good" or something vague like that.

    Online I've done it a few times in segments, not saying for instance how much I make exactly, but rather saying how much a particular site makes or something, but that hasn't always ended well. In the end that behavior drove quite a bit of copying and I think I personally probably spawned the craze with making coupon sites a few years ago.

    Plus, there are legal ramifications, if I publicly disclose how much a site makes and I get sued over something with that site I've just given the plaintiff ammunition against me.

    I also care about my reputation and do not want to sully it. There was a time when I included my actual personal income in my profile at the forum here, and when I'd change it people would notice and start a discussion thread about my new income level. Meanwhile there are a lot of people out there who lie, misrepresent, and inflate their income and post it publicly because they're trying to manufacturer a reputation they can cash in on or otherwise sell a book or something.

    I did not want to be associated with these crass people anymore, nor did I need/want the attention from what amounted to fanboys, so I stopped doing it.

    I have no problems saying I do well, or even have a nice six figure income. I also have no problems saying one of my sites makes more than another of my sites (to an extent) but I do my best to avoid giving specifics in public. Which is not to say I never will again. I have an ongoing series in my blog about a site I made and when that site reaches it's one year anniversary in April I may give sales data for the first year, but only gross, and not net, and only for this one site.

    There are a handful of fellow publishers, whom I trust to keep things in confidence and to not steal ideas, that I may share further data with, but that is all.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you tell people you earn loads, they might copy your websites lol

  11. #11
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
    ...But you're a coder you should make loads
    Where did you get the idea that coders make loads? You'll find that depending on their location, some barely make their living.

    With that said, I'm not only a coder (I prefer developer or at worst programmer, btw); programming is an inevitable task I gotta do but which (un)fortunately doesn't end my day.

    Having said that, I just don't feel good talking about these things. I'd only tell someone how much I make only if that someone is family or close friend and only if I know I don't make more than they do.

  12. #12
    HAHA!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having said that, I just don't feel good talking about these things. I'd only tell someone how much I make only if that someone is family or close friend and only if I know I don't make more than they do.
    or significantly less which is even worse
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

    Submit articles to an article directory

  13. #13
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    or significantly less which is even worse
    Very true

  14. #14
    SitePoint Wizard cpvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Where did you get the idea that coders make loads? You'll find that depending on their location, some barely make their living.

    With that said, I'm not only a coder (I prefer developer or at worst programmer, btw); programming is an inevitable task I gotta do but which (un)fortunately doesn't end my day.

    Having said that, I just don't feel good talking about these things. I'd only tell someone how much I make only if that someone is family or close friend and only if I know I don't make more than they do.
    Ahh. I just thought programmers made a lot.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

  15. #15
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I had freelancers in mind. Otherwise that very much depends on how good your boss is.

  16. #16
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denver, Phang-Nga, Thailand
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a rule, people who REALLY make serious money keep it to themselves. Only kids and liars talk about their 'big income' or 'huge money' - the ones who are really doing well don't want to publicize it more than is necessary.

    There are a few cheeseball marketers around who like to show copies of big checks from Adsense, etc. but not very many. There are plenty of people who deposit nice, big checks on a regular basis and don't feel the need to post it on the Internet!
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

    SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

  17. #17
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Actually I had freelancers in mind. Otherwise that very much depends on how good your boss is.
    BTW, a programmer is a very broad term. For example, salary.com gives 37 job titles with very wide range of salaries.

    I guess you can say that there are programmers that do make a lot. But you're not talking to one right now, I can assure you

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member JustRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like telling people how much I make, I do not make a lot IMO but I make enough to live easy and do the job that I have always wanted to do and enjoy it .

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you consider making money online "easy" or hard work? How nice for those of you working from your garages or home offices and raking the bucks! I wonder...how many people out there really make a "good" living from their online businesses. Whether home-based or not.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Member JustRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to learn my trade just like anyone else so it was not easy.

  21. #21
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki777 View Post
    Would you consider making money online "easy" or hard work? How nice for those of you working from your garages or home offices and raking the bucks! I wonder...how many people out there really make a "good" living from their online businesses. Whether home-based or not.
    I think the same question applies to offline businesses as well. Online or not, it is still a business and most of the same factors decide its success.

    And work becomes easy when you enjoy it.

  22. #22
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki777 View Post
    Would you consider making money online "easy" or hard work? How nice for those of you working from your garages or home offices and raking the bucks! I wonder...how many people out there really make a "good" living from their online businesses. Whether home-based or not.
    It isn't working hard. It is working smart.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  23. #23
    SitePoint Wizard cpvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki777 View Post
    Would you consider making money online "easy" or hard work? How nice for those of you working from your garages or home offices and raking the bucks! I wonder...how many people out there really make a "good" living from their online businesses. Whether home-based or not.
    Working hard? No. It's all about finding the right niche to work in.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

  24. #24
    SitePoint Zealot Gharibe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NY | US
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    I don't like doing it for a variety of reasons.

    In real life I tell my parents, and of course my wife, and thats it. I tell my parents because they will not be jealous of me nor think I'm bragging to them. If other immediate family are in the room they might hear, but I never actually tell them.

    I make enough money to be uncomfortable when explaining to others how much I make. When you know someone makes 1/10th what you do you don't really fell good mentioning it to them. If they ask (and they usually don't) I'll say "a good amount" "I do pretty good" or something vague like that.

    Online I've done it a few times in segments, not saying for instance how much I make exactly, but rather saying how much a particular site makes or something, but that hasn't always ended well. In the end that behavior drove quite a bit of copying and I think I personally probably spawned the craze with making coupon sites a few years ago.

    Plus, there are legal ramifications, if I publicly disclose how much a site makes and I get sued over something with that site I've just given the plaintiff ammunition against me.

    I also care about my reputation and do not want to sully it. There was a time when I included my actual personal income in my profile at the forum here, and when I'd change it people would notice and start a discussion thread about my new income level. Meanwhile there are a lot of people out there who lie, misrepresent, and inflate their income and post it publicly because they're trying to manufacturer a reputation they can cash in on or otherwise sell a book or something.

    I did not want to be associated with these crass people anymore, nor did I need/want the attention from what amounted to fanboys, so I stopped doing it.

    I have no problems saying I do well, or even have a nice six figure income. I also have no problems saying one of my sites makes more than another of my sites (to an extent) but I do my best to avoid giving specifics in public. Which is not to say I never will again. I have an ongoing series in my blog about a site I made and when that site reaches it's one year anniversary in April I may give sales data for the first year, but only gross, and not net, and only for this one site.

    There are a handful of fellow publishers, whom I trust to keep things in confidence and to not steal ideas, that I may share further data with, but that is all.
    i totally accept with this smart guy
    thanks for the post

  25. #25
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My salary pushed 7 figures a few years back.


    ....sadly I couldn't find a Ferrari dealership in the UK that would take Vietnamese "Dong" ....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •