SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must be this old to enter....Alcohol sites

I've just come across a website for some premium rum. As is always the case it has asked for my DOB to verify my adulthood (as though no one could break that impenetrable fortress!)

It's got me wondering:

What's the point?
    Is it harmful for kids to view Alcohol related websites?
    Given the wide range of crap on the interweb, why protect youngens from Alcohol, which can't even be downloaded? (I checked)

Who's legislated this requirement?
    I've seen the "security" on sites for companies based in different countries, such as the US and Australia. Is there a legal basis, or is it just an alcohol industry convention?
    What would happen if I created a site without the protection?
    What if I'm not a producer of Alcohol, just a fan?

It just seems kinda ridiculous to me. If there are laws relating to this practice what else is legislated on the internet?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You checked if the alcohol could be downloaded?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's so much about legislation but more about responsible site ownership. Why; and what be the point of allowing your site to be accessed by adolescents who cannot legally purchase what your advertising? I think it's fantastic that the site owners are not looking to "groom" young people and are taking a responsible attitude towards a commonly available drug that destroys more lives than all the rest put together. Before you ask "Yes" I do drink.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any legislation either, plus what age do you restrict it to when there are different legal ages internationally? Does it check to see which country you log in from?

I suppose they are just being seen to be doing the responsible thing, as you said it's not hard to stick in a bogus dob.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with cranialbore. Anytime something is taboo, the taboo makes it just that more desirable. Education is the key... not prohibition.

Cranialbore... you made me laugh and brightened my day with your post! And I think it's marvelous you checked on the availability of an alcohol download. Here's an innovation for all web entrepreneurs -- PC's with a spiggot!

I find it hilarious that so many sites ask for my DOB. I could put absolutely any date in there and how would they check? The best check online for DOB is a faxed birth certificate, driver's license, or CC number... and how many kids have access (either with or without permission) to their parents' accounts?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    I don't think it's so much about legislation but more about responsible site ownership. Why; and what be the point of allowing your site to be accessed by adolescents who cannot legally purchase what your advertising? I think it's fantastic that the site owners are not looking to "groom" young people and are taking a responsible attitude towards a commonly available drug that destroys more lives than all the rest put together. Before you ask "Yes" I do drink.

The cynic in me thinks the motivation may be less about proactive responsibility and more about insurance/liability.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I find it hilarious that so many sites ask for my DOB. I could put absolutely any date in there and how would they check? The best check online for DOB is a faxed birth certificate, driver's license, or CC number... and how many kids have access (either with or without permission) to their parents' accounts?
    I dont think neither of those would work too good either. If your kids really wanted to get access to the webpage, they would have no problems borrowing your cc card or driver license from your wallet for a few minutes to "verify" their age.

Its true though, that such an approach would reduce the number of kids getting access to the information, but we would be stupid if we thought it would stop them from beeing able to access it if they really wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet filter programs are the only things that come close to restricting internet access. The DOB checks are the same as Microsoft saying it's not responsible because Vista requested your permission to let something bad happen to your PC.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think too that it's a liability issue, but like the topic starter said, it's not like you can download the product. Even if you can spoof the site with someone else's cc number, no transactions are actually being done so it's nowhere near as harmful as doing the same thing at a convenience store where you're actually buying their product. Jimbo_dk is basically right in that you are agreeing with the company to pass responsibility to you. It's harder to do any tiptoeing when your company's assets make you a potentially easy target for legal action.

I do believe that any promotions they make would ask for legitimate info if you decide to participate in them.

If these companies want more effective filtering for computers that are used by children, then they should be supporting Net Nanny and any other popular content blockers. Nothing says that they should only be used for smutty content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been waiting for downloadable booze for years!!! Locally I can order booze online (with no ID), but to be able to download it would be great...I wonder if I would ever leave my desk.

I agree that it is a waste of time to ask the DOB, and I don't think that the companies do it out of moral reasons (I am sure that if booze companies, like the tobacco or gun industries, would encourage you to put it in your babies bottle if it would improve sales).

I have also noticed that some of the alcohol sites have some sort of 'adult' content as well. We see this also with stuff like deodorant, have you seen the sexy AXE sites. This one is great: http://www.axevice.com/
    http://www.axe-effect.com/
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman