SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do search engines index dynamic pages?

    Do search engines index dynamic pages?
    If yes,how.Consider an home page index.php
    it contains nothing but php code to fetch
    data from a database on 'demand' by the
    browser.How does a search engine index
    this kind of page.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard Dean C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same as it would a static page. You should only begin to worry if your URL has a long query string with sessionid's in the URL

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    6,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tentim View Post
    How does a search engine index this kind of page.
    Finds all links on the page. Then it opens all of them. Repeat.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.It finds the links and opens them,even if the links are themselves
    dynamic.I see.What I was really worried about is keyword optimization
    for the dynamic pages.

  5. #5
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Slave I
    Posts
    23,424
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tentim View Post
    Ok.It finds the links and opens them,even if the links are themselves
    dynamic.I see.What I was really worried about is keyword optimization
    for the dynamic pages.
    Get the concept of dynamic pages out of your head. The search engines don't care or know whether a page is dynamic or static. They only know whether they can access a page and parse its contents. Turn off JavaScript, CSS, and cookies and view your page (just like the search engines do). Does it work? If so then the search engines can see it and parse it.

    To learn more about SEO read our Search Engine Optimization FAQ thread. That should help clear some things up for you.

    Moving this thread to the SEO forum.

  6. #6
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dynamic page is no different from static as seen from outside.

    Here's a simple question, which one is dynamic: index.php or index.html? You might say index.php is dynamic as the extension suggests and it's often true. But what if the server is configured to parse .html files? Both of them could be dynamic then. Or in a very exotic case, it can be configured so that .php are static and .html are parsed.

    Nothing strictly defines dynamic or static page, everytime it's just an educated guess. The search engines do not differentiate between static or dynamic (except when there's a great chance for a page to be dynamic, such as urls with session ids). When SEO is concerned, you should work on your pages with no difference either.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.Got it.What i was really worried about
    is the 'contentlessness'(just code,no content)
    of some dynamic pages and wondering how
    search engines would deal with that,but
    kyberfabrikken has given a clue on that.
    And the FAQs have shed more light.
    Thanks all.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    A dynamic page is no different from static as seen from outside.

    Here's a simple question, which one is dynamic: index.php or index.html? You might say index.php is dynamic as the extension suggests and it's often true. But what if the server is configured to parse .html files? Both of them could be dynamic then. Or in a very exotic case, it can be configured so that .php are static and .html are parsed.

    Nothing strictly defines dynamic or static page, everytime it's just an educated guess. The search engines do not differentiate between static or dynamic (except when there's a great chance for a page to be dynamic, such as urls with session ids). When SEO is concerned, you should work on your pages with no difference either.

    Thanks.. that clarification was needed for me too...

    Gops
    Last edited by stymiee; Nov 30, 2007 at 08:22. Reason: use your signature

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard frank1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well in our one site home page we have a tab which displays toprated...latest ..most read and so on...

    now the google has index those all lik
    www.site.com/content.php?id=2
    www.site.com/content.php?id=15
    www.site.com/content.php?id=200

    what ever links are going out...

    we have found that some considers it as outlinks...and read ..too many outlinks are not good for the site...

    so is these bad for site...
    should be remove those tabs...
    thanks

  10. #10
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search any keywords in google, and you will find many dynamic pages!

  11. #11
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tentim View Post
    Do search engines index dynamic pages?
    If yes,how.Consider an home page index.php
    it contains nothing but php code to fetch
    data from a database on 'demand' by the
    browser.How does a search engine index
    this kind of page.
    In the eyes of search engine, dynamic page is no different from static, they are not aware if the page is dynamic or static. For example if you search in Google with any Key words, you will find many dynamic website as well as many static websites

    So what really matters with the search engine is the Content.

    Parikshat
    Vinove - Your WebScape Partner

  12. #12
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    well in our one site home page we have a tab which displays toprated...latest ..most read and so on...

    now the google has index those all lik
    www.site.com/content.php?id=2
    www.site.com/content.php?id=15
    www.site.com/content.php?id=200

    what ever links are going out...

    we have found that some considers it as outlinks...and read ..too many outlinks are not good for the site...

    so is these bad for site...
    should be remove those tabs...
    thanks
    If you're worried about PR leaking out from your site, use rel="nofollow" attribute for those dynamic page links.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the info it was informative

  14. #14
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    off course, search engine does index dynamic pages as it index static pages

  15. #15
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure search engines index dynamic pages also..

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it shuold be I have seen where if the url is too long or complicated the page doesnt get indexed...
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

  17. #17


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •