User Tag List

Thread: Parallel Sites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parallel Sites

Hi All

Not sure if this has been covered (and if so, what would I search for?) so a quick answer will do.

I have a picture site that allows users to see what Africa is like through pictures. Yes, I also sell them for print use.

I have created a whole golf directory with amazing content.

I want to run it parallel to my site, offering it as a great resource to visitors, and hopefully be the premier golf resource for information on South Africa golf.

I am thinking of running it on the url www.africapic.com/South_Africa_Golf.html.

I want to know if this will damage any current rankings that Google has for my site?

Thanks
    Free Africa Pictures for web use|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will have no effect on your rankings for the AfricaPics site, but logically I don't see why you wouldn't have a separate domain for the site?
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me get this straight: You think putting more content on your site is going to hurt your rankings? I guess you stopped developing your analytical skills after you were finished with kindergarten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is different content.

If Google sees the whole site as a picture site, and then there is a whole section about golf, surely it will wonder is this site about pictures or is it about golf?

That's what I am wondering about. I would love to have more content on it, and that is why I am doing it.
    Free Africa Pictures for web use|

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF the extra information is going to be for Golf pictures in South Africa then it relates to the theme of your site and is a perfectly good way to diversify once you've established the safari/animal pics.

However, if you're going off topic on a completely different site about Golf then I think it would be much wiser to consider setting up a new domain.

I can't see it actually hurting search engine rankings but it may be confusing to users.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't hurt your SEO and SERPs.

But it will make people feel strange and unconfortable if you put 2 unrelated things together.