SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promoting outside my comfort zone

Stats from one of my websites show that around 90% of the direct links to my site come from message boards and blogs I frequently go to. And I get a steady stream of visitors from those places every day. But it's no means a large list of websites. So my first conclusion for solving the problem is to go find new blogs to post while linking back to my website, or finding new message boards. However it doesn't sound very efficient.

Those people that own heavy-traffic websites, did they get all those loyal visitors regular members of many dozens, even hundreds of communities? It's hard for me to believe they can manage doing that. Because I must not be doing something right if my traffic I get and the number of places I promote grow in a linear proportion, instead of exponential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it won't get exponential until OTHER people start linking to it besides you. It will be linear as long as you are the only one out there promoting the site. Get the content value up to where people seek it, and they will start linking to it for you... that's the exponential component.
    Mike

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do a method that has you putting in more hours and getting back less $ than a minimum-paid dishwasher, is it really worth doing?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A way to branch out would be to use article marketing. If you are already blogging and posting then it shouldn't be difficult to whip up a couple short articles based on topics you already write about. You don't need to go wild with submitting your articles, just pick a couple of the top sites where publishers go to find quality material and soon your article -- and link -- will appear in other blogs without you having to find them or post them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just advertise your website? Whether it be Google Adwords, Link Spots, Blog Posts etc...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmelen View Post
    Why don't you just advertise your website? Whether it be Google Adwords, Link Spots, Blog Posts etc...
    Shouldn't I be getting a certain amount of traffic before I qualify for stuff like being in AdWords? I would really like it if others would link to my blog, that's one of my thoughts as well.

This week it got liked by a Japanese blog I haven't heard of, and I didn't know how they found it...but their Technorati stats show high authority and I got a spike of hits coming from them.

After a month of consistent posting it seems like I should start contacting other blog owners as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mccollin View Post
    Well it won't get exponential until OTHER people start linking to it besides you. It will be linear as long as you are the only one out there promoting the site. Get the content value up to where people seek it, and they will start linking to it for you... that's the exponential component.
    This sums up your problem perfectly. I've been where you are many times (the one-man linear route) and content is really key. Linear promotion is fine for the start, for instance when you're pouring all your efforts into getting your latest site 'out there' but this approach can't last forever. Just come up with something that people will find useful/interesting and telll their friends about.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mccollin View Post
    Excellent comment, mccollin. When people start to fall in love with your site, it brings a fuzzy, warm feeling that is very gratifying.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice, especially mccollin. Looks like I'm starting to get the picture. One of my blogs last week got a jump in the increase of visits one day, because a much more popular site did a story on one of the posts I made. Turns out that someone who came upon my site liked the post and tipped off the other site. Since that jump, my blog is pulling in 15 more visitors per day on average.