SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Email and the Email Standards Project

From the blog post:

"Read the background on why we need standards support in email and what you can do to help, then go read more about this movement or check out what’s next for the Email Standards Project on their new blog (complete with a running tally of email clients and a rating for each based on how they handled an acid test)."

email-standards.org

Do you use HTML email? Would you use it more if mail clients made it easier for HTML mail to render consistently?
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    • Follow me on Twitter.
    • Read my blog.
    • Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question of HTML versus Text seems to come up within a few weeks of every job I've ever had. While I've tried dropping text only email, the only circumstance where I've found it to be beneficial was B2B segments. As more and more consumers adopt PDAs I expect we will need to start better segmenting email lists to provide wireless options just as multi-part mime messages help address text-only users today (to some degree).

These days I go back and forth between "best practices" html emails with heavy focus on text and "best looking" with more images. Since I'm generally involved in consumer brands best looking tends to win with the marketing execs. I'm on enough email lists to keep pulse with major brands and these days more and more are moving to 75%+ image emails. However, like everything in marketing, the results of testing is all that really matters.
    - Ted S