SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I want to start a URL redirection service: People with a long webaddress can get a short adress like SayWOW.to/John

I bought a URL redirection script, written in Perl. Problem is that it can take loads of around 3000 users. My service would slow down if more customers would use this redirection service.

I want my script to take as many customers as there are without slowing down, even if it would have 3000 customers each day who sign up.
    Iím looking for someone who can rewrite my Pearl script.

Email me if you want to see the script.

Thanks

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    The best thing to do here would be to have your hosting company install mod_PERL on the server which pre-compiles PERL Scripts, or for your to move to your own server, especially if you intend to be serving thousands and thousands of re-directs every day.

------------------
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com
    Articles, Reviews & Resources for webmasters!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello Matt,

Iíve sent my Perl redirection script to a programmer who said he could write this for me in MySQL. He estimated that it would take him more than a month, so more than 160 hours of work, to rewrite the script.

That seems to me a bit long for a script that is about 12 pages long;Before this I had a programmer who said he could write this for me in C language and that would take him about 20 hours. Unfortunately he didnít had time to do the job for me.

I have no knowlegde about program languages, so I actually wanted to have a someone else to take a look at this. Does it really take that long to write this in MySQL?

RAGE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Instead of rewriting one .. I could make you one from scratch in php / mysql .. that will serve the best, in my opinion for `speed' and capabilities .. as mysql can handle around 100,000 simultaneous requests as long as the server is good enough to handle it too, and php is the fastest scriping language out there ...

if interested, contact me on ICQ # 28857142 or e-mail webmaster@realmz.net

peace..

------------------
    http://www.realmz.net
    Your #1 source of Webmaster Resources

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for your help. I'll contact Rage.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy cow, i think ur getting ripped all the way around. 20 to 160 hours to rewrite that script, insane. try the guy that posted before this one. he seems to be more realistic and honest.

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!