SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Prayer for The Dying ....Keyboard.

For the past several years I've been using this keyboard and I love it. The cut, copy & paste buttons have become essential. Unfortunately, it seems to be dying and I'm going to need to replace it soon. More unfortunately, Microsoft no longer manufactures it and I have yet to find a suitable alternative.

I've checked Logitech, Saitek and several of the online retailers and have not had any luck. I intend to keep looking but I thought maybe if someone out there had an obscure source or knew off-hand where I should look...

I really don't care much about anything else feature-wise as long as it has those cut, copy & paste buttons. Any & all help is appreciated.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to sound like a know it all, but you do know that control-c copies, control-v pastes and control-x cuts, so every keyboard has copy/paste buttons, they just might not be marked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know. And this keyboard also has single touch hot-keys that will do the same thing but the buttons off to the left have become second nature because I use them so often in designing. But thank you; I realize if I can't find a similar keyboard I may have to go back to doing it old-school like that.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured as much, but you never know these days. We handed out some (different) microsoft keyboards that have the default windows hot keys marked. People were amazed to learn they could cut and paste without using the mouse.

Also: check your amazon link--someone has a "like new" one they are selling.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you called Microsoft Hardware support? If you are really nice they just might send you a new *updated* keyboard. Worth a try. ^^
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    I figured as much, but you never know these days. We handed out some (different) microsoft keyboards that have the default windows hot keys marked. People were amazed to learn they could cut and paste without using the mouse.

Also: check your amazon link--someone has a "like new" one they are selling.
    I'm keeping that Amazon one in mind. eBay was devoid of them but I set up a notification if one gets listed. I hate to have to get a used one but it may come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Have you called Microsoft Hardware support? If you are really nice they just might send you a new *updated* keyboard. Worth a try. ^^
    Hadn't thought of that; I think I'll give that a try and see if my powers of persuasion and professing my 'undying love for a Microsoft product' will work.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I *think* all Microsoft hardware comes with a lifetime warranty? Some of it used to, at least. I know when a key popped off my keyboard, I just sent an e-mail and they mailed me a new one. No returns, no receipts, they just sent it. And I know someone who gets an old Intellimouse Explorer replaced every time it wears out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got off the phone with MS; first tech support then replacement parts. Before I called I found out via the web site that the 'mainstream support lifecycle' ended in July of '06. The call didn't yield any better results; no such thing as a lifetime warranty (or so the rep said); apparently 3 years is the typical duration. I guess I'll be grabbing the one on Amazon or finding one elsewhere when needed.

And I say 'when needed' because after I smacked it like it was an old black & white-turn-the-knobs-UHF-VHF-Zenith TV, it worked fine again. Yay for low-tech repair techiniques. (Don't lecture, I know it's wrong.)

Thanks for the input, y'all.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be that they used to have lifetime warranties and don't anymore. I don't have the box from my keyboard & mouse set anymore so I couldn't check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're probably right, Dan...I seem to remember lifetime warranties on some of the older hardware I purchased in the past. And, MS support being what it is, I don't put complete faith in them. In fact, the product ID number for this keyboard came up in their system as a Sidewinder accessory. However, the rep noted that the Sidewinder product was obsolete & retired as well. <sigh>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLee View Post
    And I say 'when needed' because after I smacked it like it was an old black & white-turn-the-knobs-UHF-VHF-Zenith TV, it worked fine again. Yay for low-tech repair techiniques. (Don't lecture, I know it's wrong.)

Thanks for the input, y'all.
    What! You mean that's not the way to do it?
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just get a mouse with more buttons to macro the Crtl-v, ctrl-x, etc commands?

Or you could just get any other keyboard from whatever brand and set the button to ctrlv?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.