SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review a photography site

I would like to submit one of my websites for review. I'm open to any constructive criticism and suggestions. I would be very interested to hear the more experienced professionals take on it.
    http://www.charizmaphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks quite unprofessional to me. But actually very close to being a nice site.

I would definately get rid of the circular area with red/white stripes, its just confusing for the eye and makes your logo less readible.

Having the logo and menu so far left is also not very user friendly.

A simple fix would be to move the menu about 100px closer to the main image and have the two centered (as well as the rest of the layout).

Do the same with the logo, moving it closer to your main tagline and centering the two int he layout.

Get rid of the circular outline bit, but keep the line going across the top of the layout.

Do all these things and your website will look 100 times better I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with clink. The logo is also very difficult to read if you're just glancing at it. I actually had to lean in and dedicate some attention to figuring it out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to try changing the timing on your photos, try different timing and effects to see what is best. Also why do you specialize in weddings and senior portraits, you show children also. If you specialize, then you should stress those with some others to cover your abilities.
    Maybe a page with thumbnails, and flash rotation like in:
    http://flash.dvd-photo-slideshow.com...ol_effects.php
    see examples by users.
    People like the thumbnails as they get an idea of the picture. Rotating thumbnails to a large shot does help.
    You can list them as weddings, portraites (young and elder) school pictures, graduations, etc.
    Your index page is nice, but you seem to loose a lot of real estate. Your menu could be a slide out with more descriptive headings, or have more to the menu (by having a slide out with dropdowns you have more room (use only CSS, don't use java, even for corrections for IE, as there are samples using CSS only and they can't be disabled and they can be external).
    Since photography is so competitive, you have to have your site really stand out, also you need to keep the load time down so visitors won't leave.
    hope this helps
    falcon

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at your site, there a few areas that need improvement.

The logo on the right, while a good concept, looks unprofessional because of the low image quality being used to display the image. A more crisper, cleaner logo for a photography site in particular is, in my view, necesarry to attracting customers to your client.

I think there also needs to be fixing in regards to your font. The centred font especially looks unprofessional and old style web. You are even using different fonts on your pricing versus your online proof page.

I am not a fan of the centre oval either, again I think it looks unprofessional.
    The menu however is quite good and suits the colour scheme of the site.

In regards to the code, it is fairly well done for the most part, apart from unnecessary spacing that could be done via css.

Good job though.
    Professional Web Development Australia - JAB Interactive

Available for freelance work - please contact me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make the site simple and professional using your photos as the key element.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For photo if you can try to get higher quality ones, also the top circle thing didnt do it for me, try to find a cleaner design or just carry it down instead of the circle part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the photo gallery, searched the web and found what I was looking for
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/menu_gallery
    A three stage slide show
    This will make your gallery stand out
    Unbelieveable
    Your comments - ie what do you think
    hope this helps
    falcon