SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Design Selling

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious to know how you sell your services to prospective clients.

Here's the scenario:

You have a contact form on your website.
    Client from XYZ company fills it out.

What do you do to ensure a sale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meet with them and find out what they need. Take good notes and outline the layout of the site. When you get back to the office, figure up your time and send them a "quick quote" with brief details about the site.

When you do your contract require at least a 50% deposit and maybe offer a 10% deposit if they pay all up front (you will need to have some good references from past clients for this).

Make sure to include in your contract on the turn around time is base upon receipt of "Required deposits and receipt of all materials requested from the client." -- otherwise, expect that day before the deadline for them to send you the logos, photos etc that you might need.

PM me if you want me to send you a copy of the contract that I use. You'll have to fill in the blanks, but, you can easily figure it out.

hc
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of my biggest problems is that I can't actually meet with the prospect face to face. It usually has to be over the phone.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwconcepts View Post
    You have a contact form on your website.
    Client from XYZ company fills it out.

What do you do to ensure a sale?
    Not sure that warrants a meeting, not based on the info you have given. We get several contact form enquiries every day, there's no way we can meet up with all of these people, and anyway most of these enquiries turn out to be a poor fit with us. We save the meetings for the really 'hot' leads.

How to do filter the 'hot' enquries? You set up a disqualification process. This means you create a structured process that is designed to fish out any particular problem ('showstopper)' that would mean this prospect is unsuitable to work with. It could be that they do not have the right budget, they have technical requirements beyond your abilities, they are talking to too many other developers, they have a preferred sales process that doesn't gel with yours, or one of a 1000 other reasons.

Mileage will vary, but we find contact form enquiries to be generally quite low quality, but we do a lot of local based work and find the hotter leads are more likely to ring direct. Particularly low quality contact forms (for us) will usually say something like 'please contact me only by email' or will even miss out their phone number. So for these enquiries, we'll usually respond with a quick copy/paste job and see how it pans out. As indicated above, we usually look for answers to questions about budget and how it is being funded, about the seriousness of the project plans,about how many others we are competing against, timescales required, preferred sales process (do they require lengthy proposals and endless meetings etc).

Obviously that's an example of my own criteria for disqualification, you need to create one that suits you.

I'm rarely concerned about technical stuff until I'm sure we have an interesting prospect. Then we may look at meeting up or continuing discussions over the phone. Once you are in these discussions, you'll need to continue a structured sales process that suits you. Search around this forum for an idea of what to do - typically find out why the prospect needs a site, show them you are capable of building it, and agree on a price to complete the work.