SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What are the Legal Considerations of Business Names on Websites

I have a client who is very wary of legal issues which could stem from not having LLC on their web pages and logo.

I have no problem adding LLC to the footer, as that appropriately names the company throughout the site, but they've asked me to change the logo to reflect this as well.

My initial reaction was one of reluctance, as this would change the setting of the type and would look more clunky in my opinion. It would additionally be a costly change as the website and collateral would have to reflect the change.

Would there be any legal reason to include LLC, or any other company suffix for that matter, in the logo in order to protect the client?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should always include the legal status, where appropriate. You don't have to include it in your logo (think BMW's logo, do they have that there?), but on pages like the imprint it should be mentioned. Include it in the footer as well just to be on the safe side.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Icheb makes a good point. Is there a diplomatic way you could bring up the logos of larger companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, BMW, Coca Cola, etc. Although are are incorporated, none if "Inc" in their logo.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose is to be clear to a user of the site who they are dealing with. Putting the company name in the footer is sufficient to do so. That's all that counts.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, as long as it's not confusing to the user it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you are signing a contract or something like that it's not imperative that you use your corporation's exact name or marker.

If it's confusing or misleading to the user there is some risk, though.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+