SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use it or lose it!

Just recently I have been scratching around looking for that perfect domain name for a site. You know the kind of name I mean; one with a bit of wow or so self explanatory it couldn't mean anything else. This has meant a lot of messing around with various on-line tools like http://www.bustaname.com/ and of course while I knew all about domain parking (I do it myself sometimes if I see a name that I fancy for a future project) I had no idea of how rife the business of buying a name simply with a view to reselling it was and how bloody annoying it is. Don't get me wrong I believe in a free market, supply and demand and all that; but I think it's ridiculous that somebody should be allowed to buy a name and do nothing with it accept watch it accrue in value. I find the whole business as pathetic as those bottles of wine that nobody can drink because they are too valuable and then when they open them they taste like vinegar (hooray) or profiteering on houses while there are people homeless (scum) Surely it's time to introduce a measure whereby if you haven't actually made use of a domain name within say two years you should lose it; because personally I would go to hell in a handcart before I paid $1000's to some bloodsucker no matter how much I wanted the name.

OK rant over and by the way I don't actually buy into legislation.

Oh and I still haven't come up with a name and if you didn't know; there is a shiny new book for you if you come up with one for me.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516249
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a tricky thing to ask people to come up with a name for you. If it is a really great name they might find, they will register it, that is just the way it is right now.

Moral judgment aside, it makes good business sense. If you find or produce something that is rare, you can ask a higher price for it. That is why gold is a value, that is why diamonds cost what they cost, that is why rare artifacts cost what they cost. It is only a function of the free market place
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrike
    why diamonds cost what they cost
    Despite being as common as dirt. But that's a topic best saved for another thread (or better yet, not at all).

Chris, have any of the suggestions you received looked promising so far?

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Despite being as common as dirt. But that's a topic best saved for another thread (or better yet, not at all).
    Yea, the small ones are as common as that. But the investment grade big stones are not as often found. And yes, there is a lot of hype of course. But that too is part of the market and the marketing.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your ranty notion!!!

The parked sites which are really annoying are ones like this: http://name-services.com/

Plus there is not even a link on most of these pages to buy or bid for the domain!!!

Its just wasting the web...!!!

Plus, many of these parked pages come up in google or Yahoo which is soooo annoying when you are searching for something... and then get directed to another search or directory site!!
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Chris, have any of the suggestions you received looked promising so far?
    Yes Dan several of them look very promising.

I have never bought into the notion of first snout in the trough and bugger everybody else and that was really what my rant was about. While I was playing with the http://www.bustaname.com/ search tool I could not believe how many domains were up for sale; my curiosity got the better of me and the vast majority are as I described in my earlier post just parked. Many of them have been parked for years with no attempt to develop them; they have been bought literally in some sort of sordid attempt to corner the market with some companies literally owning hundreds. We all have our own ideas about what the internet should be but I'm pretty sure that very few of us think it should be some sort of land grabbing scheme reminiscent of the wild west.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I already told you (via PM) about http://instantdomainsearch.com - have you given that a try?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with your views on Domain Parking Chris. It really is a pitiful situation.