Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Drop him and move on with life.
    Good advice, however it's now to the point where he is a friend, and my wife is friends with his significant other, etc etc. So I'm kind of stuck with this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next time you teach him, finish off with "Unfortunately I have had to start charging for help desk services. From next time it will cost $xx".

The other way would be to make his someone else's client. I'm sure there is someone out there who would be grateful for the chance of dealing with him and it doesn't mean he can't remain a friend.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
    Good advice, however it's now to the point where he is a friend, and my wife is friends with his significant other, etc etc. So I'm kind of stuck with this one.
    If you know the wife, then get her involved if you're having problems with responsibility for your friend. Show her how to access the email, or at the very least, give her the document which contains the instructions and ask her to safeguard it so it doesn't get lost.

I've got a customer base with an average age of 60+, and quite a few are completely technologically illiterate. We use a yahoo group for our main source of communication, and I'm still fighting to get everyone involved in the group (we've got 95% with online capacity, but only 60% involvement in the group). I've provided a document with specific screenshots for them to use, and some still can't figure out. Those people who have wives that I know are involved online, I've gone to them to ask them to help their husbands get onto the group - I've got almost all of them online the first time I got the wives involved without an issue.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse