SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shady Landlords

Hey everyone, I just finished my new site:

http://www.shadylandlords.com

This site is an online community for renters/tenants, and will be a resource for tenants' rights.

It's pretty straightforward - a few static pages plus a forum. I may add a news feed at some point. I haven't been able to fill in much of the message board with useful links, but the idea is to use the forum to display that content.

I would appreciate any feedback possible! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually really like the design. However, you have a massive problem, the site is FAR too large vertically speaking... This is just annoying for users who will have to scroll, plus it pushes the important part (the content) down for no apparent reason. I highly recommend you try what I'm about to say as it would make you website look a lot lot nicer.

Move the logo up a bit, and make it vertically central with the house image. Moving the house image up to be in line with the logo would also bring up the rest of the layout.

Reduce the height of your google ads, they're far too tall and create white space (not good white space) under your content.

Now, doing these things will allow you to give your main content space more spacing, it's looking a little squashed right now. I would also consider highlighting behind certain words with faint yellow in order to give the page just a little more colour. Perhaps also a faint fade from the top of the site would make it more visually interesting.

Good job though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of white space (unused real estate) Try utilizing the space more effectively also you may want to have your menu a little larger. The site is not too overcrowded so you can condense a little. The Google ads are a little large for the site, You may do better with two smaller ones instead of one large ad.
    A small ad positioned effectively is better than a large ad not positioned effectively. Also color is important. Wish you well on your site and project
    falcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I look at the home page, my eye goes straight to the Google ads. The red text they're in catches my eye more than the explanation of your site.

The length of the home page is being determined by the length of the Google ad. There's tons of white space between your description of the site and the footer because of this.

It just feels like there is a lot of space and not a lot of content to me. It's clean looking, but feels like it needs to be more compact. The menu is way far away from the rest of the site. It just feels like things aren't related.