SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Windows 98: Need restore, but all I have is command and autoexec!

My friend runs a business and needs this computer to works. Anyway I can get whatever was on it prior?

...Yeah, it's pretty bad right now: all he has on it at the moment is command.com and autoexec.bat. I've tried doing SafeMode as the Win98 splash screen comes up after POST, but SafeMode only does the same thing as standard Windows load-up - it shows the command prompt with the Windows text trademark above it (as if Windows 98 is still installed or something).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    let your pc boot to dos prompt (as it does now), insert win98 disc, and type: d:/setup.exe

(if your cd drive is d:, that is)

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more efficient in the long run if you copy across all the CAB files from the Win98 disc to the hard drive (pref a seperate partition from the partition that windows will go on) and then run setup from the CAB files copied accross to the hard disk.

This will save you a lot of hassle when you install something and windows asks for the win98 disc to be put in the drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I appreciate your input guys, but unfortunately, he didn't have a Win98 restore disc. You see, he had to have this with what WAS on it because he's going through some drama at work with the guy who reformatted this computer... Yep, legal stuff...

Anyway, thanks again.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the drive out of the computer, switch the jumper on it to the slave position, and stick it in a working computer as a secondary drive. Copy whatever files he needs off of it.