SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE bullet problems

Hello,

So yea... this site doesn't validate... but it's mainly due to bad coding if some plugins we use and in the posts themselves on the blog. So where possible shut your eyes to these errors.

If there is a simple fix to this problem I'd be happy... basically it looks just about how we want in Firefox on the sidebar... http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/ but if you look in IE7 the problems appear.

EDIT: Just noticed another problem, this time in IE6 (I don't usually have access to IE6 so hadn't noticed). The navbar background doesn't seem to appear, meaning you can't see the text (unless you hover).
    Last edited by hitmanuk2k; Nov 27, 2007 at 05:06.
    Follow me on Twitter, or find me on LinkedIn. Latest project: loanpayday.org.uk.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The problem is caused because you have an invalid list structure on the right hand side.
    Code:
        </div>
            <div id="right">
                <div class="subcontainer">
                    <ul>
                        <div> <b class="spiffy-1"> <b class="spiffy1-1"><b></b></b> <b class="spiffy2-1"><b></b></b> <b class="spiffy3-1"></b> <b class="spiffy4-1"></b> <b class="spiffy5-1"></b></b>
                            <div class="spiffyfg-1">
                                <div id="recenttitle-1">LATEST MOVIE NEWS</div>
                                <li id="cat-posts-1" class="widget widget_cat_posts">
    All that part in bold cannot be in that position as nothing can come after a ul opening tag except a li opening tag. You will have to move all that section inside the li opening tag. You of course have the same error at the closing list tag and you must move all those divs inside the li closing tag.

In a list structure the content can only come inside the opening "li" tag and the closing "li" tag. (<ul><li> ....Content must come here... </li></ul>).

Moving the offending code will fix the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which part is in bold? I don't see anything in bold.

The problem is with the widgets which have a class "widget widget_text" (the wide boxes after the Latest Reviews box)... all the ones above it appear correctly. Sorry I should have been far more specific.
    Follow me on Twitter, or find me on LinkedIn. Latest project: loanpayday.org.uk.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Which part is in bold? I don't see anything in bold.
    Put your glasses on and re-read my post

This was the part that I marked in bold in the code I posted.
    Code:
     <div> <b class="spiffy-1"> <b class="spiffy1-1"><b></b></b> <b class="spiffy2-1"><b></b></b> <b class="spiffy3-1"></b> <b class="spiffy4-1"></b> <b class="spiffy5-1"></b></b>
                            <div class="spiffyfg-1">
                                <div id="recenttitle-1">LATEST MOVIE NEWS</div>

I have given you the exact 100&#37; solution to your problem and it addresses the issues that you were talking about. You cannot expect to use invalid broken code and still expect the page to render correctly.

You have broken the list completely and IE is guessing that those divs are lists and they're not.

Make the changes I recommended and it will be resolved.

I don't think I can say this any clearer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks no problem I wasn't trying to undermine your advice. But nothing appears in bold on my screen in your first post.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    But nothing appears in bold on my screen in your first post.
    Hmm.. That's strange. I'm not sure why you can't see it but it looks bold to me on all my browsers. (Except that IE7 makes it hard to tell as there is only a slight difference between bold and normal on ie7.)

The code in post#4 is the offending code and will fix your problem if you put it in a valid location

Hope you get it sorted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using Firefox on my Windows Vista Laptop. Back on my XP desktop I can see the bold no problem

I managed to get it sorted thanks, though sadly had to lose my nice rounded corners on the top box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed another problem, this time in IE6 (I don't usually have access to IE6 so hadn't noticed). The navbar background doesn't seem to appear, meaning you can't see the text (unless you hover).

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Looks like a "haslayout" issue so try adding a width here to force "layout".

Code:
    #navmenu{width:100&#37;}

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not had a look at this specific page but if you're relying on a background image to provide contrast then you should also specify a background colour so that any users with images disabled won't experience the problem you're describing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did already have a background colour specified yes

The width: 100&#37; solved the issue, thanks again Paul.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was more general accessibility advice than targeted at your specific problem as it's something a lot of people do without realising so thought it worth mentioning that a background colour should usually be provided when text is placed on a background image.