SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sitepoint's future. New vBulletin

Inline Editing of Profile Field Values

The 'About Me' tab of each member's profile page has edit controls, allowing them to quickly change values without leaving their profile page.

Attachment Viewing Lightbox

Clicking on an attached image will now open a lightbox rather than open a new window, with the image scaled to fit the browser viewport. A click on the image in the lightbox will open it in a new window as before.

And more: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Somethings there look quite nice - others however shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole, such as public profile messaging, why add a board to your profile? Doesn't make any sense and I've seen similar utilities on other forums that generally don't spark any interest. Besides, why spend that much more time checking yours and other peoples profiles for nick-nacks of chatter?

What's your opinion cpvr?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... They're putting more focus on the social networking aspect to compete with IPB. I'm not sure yet, but the new features look good, but I'd like the option to revert back to the old style too.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like all the new features can be disabled by administrators, so there's no harm done if you hate something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^Good, some of those things shouldn't see the light of day on Sitepoint imho.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Yes, probably.

And some of those things (such as tags, thread prefixes) must definitely see the light of day on SP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own IPBs too and believe me I really don't care about those features. It's true that people like to read profiles and chat (this is why myspace, hi5 and other things like this) are so successful, but in the end in some specialized communities with "educated" internet people such gadgets are not sparking any attention .. it's good to have them though for other niches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^agreed. Really I don't see sitepoint introducing any of these features are really as this is about a board-based system of forums. - especially not customisable profile pages - far too myspace thanks

Php - tags I agree wouldn't be so bad actaully

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience of tagging of threads in other forums is that it doesn't work, you have to rely on a person posting a thread to tag a thread with appropriate tags. If someone is in a hurry they probably won't bother to tag a thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    My experience of tagging of threads in other forums is that it doesn't work, you have to rely on a person posting a thread to tag a thread with appropriate tags. If someone is in a hurry they probably won't bother to tag a thread.
    Hm, I thought members with permissions to tag threads means members who were granted those permissions for being regulars on some part of the forums. Having only the thread authors to tag threads is just a waste of the idea at all. I read and post on php forums everyday and I'd love to tag every of those threads so it's possible to quickly find them. And over all, the amount of threads on SP makes a huge data source, but extracting information from it is nearly impossible. Properly used tags would change that a lot, I think.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of tags would you expect to use on threads in the PHP forum? "MVC", "Pagination", "Email form", "Regex" - stuff like that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. And that would beat regular search ten-fold.

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I don't think most of them should see the light of day on any website. The only useful thing I can see would be tags. Is it just me or does the sitepoint search take really long?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does take long. You're better off using google for that. I've noticed that SP threads are indexed very fast (in minutes sometimes!), so it is really a better option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentcollision View Post
    I don't think most of them should see the light of day on any website. The only useful thing I can see would be tags. Is it just me or does the sitepoint search take really long?
    Ya, that's because of how big their database is. It needs to be optimized.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really diggin the new features of the vbulletin

if sp upgrades, it'll be pretty nice
    resellerscene - WHM Master Reseller Hosting at its BEST!
    www.kjcpop.com - A new ASIAN Community open!
    www.visoads.com - Live VPS Auctions every 4 days!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure, in principal they look ok. But are they really that useful? In my mind VB got it bang on with the current version SP is using, its quick and simple to use, making the whole action of posting threads and replying very quick and easy. Which lets face it is the most important thing! After all it’s the core competency of a forum and we all use forums in certain ways, so why diversify the applications ability and try to become a forum, social network and whatever else is cool at the minute…

Si

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by si@ld View Post
    I am not sure, in principal they look ok. But are they really that useful? In my mind VB got it bang on with the current version SP is using, its quick and simple to use, making the whole action of posting threads and replying very quick and easy. Which lets face it is the most important thing! After all it’s the core competency of a forum and we all use forums in certain ways, so why diversify the applications ability and try to become a forum, social network and whatever else is cool at the minute…

Si
    Exactly. Centralisation. Focus on what the objective is.

I just had a quick look around the forums, and does anyone actually use half the features here? Buddy list? Mute list? Event reminders?