User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do PR 0 Sites help?

Do links from PR 0 pages help? I mean pages that are indexed in Google, or in yahoo site explorer inbound links.

This question in regards to increasing PR.

Given also that the links from the PR 0 are one way links.

Also, regarding being listed in PR 0 pages on directories... The main page of the directories themselves could be PR 5 to PR 1, but the pages inside, on which the site is posted, is PR 0, or Google toolbar says there's no PageRank information.

What are you opinions about this?
    Last edited by lee_vhoi_ol; Nov 26, 2007 at 09:52.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PR0 you speak of (namely toolbar PR = 0) is irrelevant. Also, help towards what? An increase in PR, higher rankings, more traffic or more conversions?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably not ideal...but the more sites linking to you the better I have heard...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll help them much more than it would help you (which isn't saying much when you think about it). And as hooperman said, PR is irrelevant. You want to focus on writing good quality content (that people will want to link to), getting more people to come to your site (traffic) and ranking well in the search engine results pages for the search terms you want to target for (while also keeping a close eye on other keywords people are using to find your site).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For building PR, i mean. (editted the original post).

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd essentially be rolling the dice since the PR shown in the toolbar and on sites such as digpagerank.com happens to be old and stale information. Do you know if those sites will have had their PR increase by the time of the next public update (if it ever happens again), or if those sites will not be using rel="nofollow" on the links to your site?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes PR0 links surely help

i have pr0 links and its works great too!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR0 can become PR1...2...3...4......

So definitively help

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind there is a difference between what you see and the actual number google is using. It could be that google did not have a value for the site in question when they did their last visible toolbar pagerank update. It also could be the site has a pagerank of 0.8, and still has a very small value.

It has been proven that anchor text can help your rankings without the pagerank of the pages being high, so my answer is "yes", they can be helpful.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response everyone.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Designer001 View Post
    yes PR0 links surely help

i have pr0 links and its works great too!

Agreed.PR0 links will be helpful too.

So do I.

Myabe focus on real traffics and PR is also trademark.

Alexa is another ranking too.
    matt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe it wont for the mean time..but it will help maybe in the future.. you should also look for the content of the site.. its very important.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    It also could be the site has a pagerank of 0.8, and still has a very small value.
    Wouldn't that be rounded to PR1 though? It could be PR0.49999999 but surely anything higher would have given a site a PR1

In any case. All links are useful as they encourage natural traffic which in turn can generate more visitors and the likelihood of more web sites linking.

I certainly wouldn't pay for a PR0 link though but then I personally wouldn't pay for a link for PR purposes anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR0 sites (with good content) are worth linking to as they are likely to become higher ranked at a future date. I am not so sure of say listing in PR0 directories where you are just in a list of loads of other slightly similar sites.

You could always try both types of link and keep a watch on which links are being shown in google as backlinks and then decide on your strategy after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the PR of sites increases in future, it will help in future.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    updated the question on the first post.

it's now regarding being listed in PR 0 pages on directories. The main page of the directories themselves could be PR 5 to PR 1, but the pages inside on which the site is posted is PR 0, or Google toolbar says there's no PageRank information.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of thanks for the quick replies.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR is a page level measure so the question hasn't changed really. I'd go with what's already been said.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a directory is just like any other website. There's nothing particularly special about them so what has already been said still applies

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_vhoi_ol View Post
    Do links from PR 0 pages help? I mean pages that are indexed in Google, or in yahoo site explorer inbound links.

This question in regards to increasing PR.

Also, regarding being listed in PR 0 pages on directories... The main page of the directories themselves could be PR 5 to PR 1, but the pages inside, on which the site is posted, is PR 0, or Google toolbar says there's no PageRank information.

Of course, even PR 0 helps as long as it is a relevant one...

PageRank zero pages can pass link juice and impact rankings.

High PageRank pages do not necessarily pass link juice. Many link to bad neighborhoods and have lost link juice passing ability....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, agree PR0 help as your site will be crawled more often by spider when they jump from the PR0 site to yours, more jumps by spiders to your site means more pages of your being crawled, so make sure you exchange links with PR0 to subpages of your site so most of site's pages are crawled directly from the link at the PR0 site, and of course they will be indexed too, not with a good SERP, but one more page of yours on GYM.

One thing, make sure those PR0 exchanges are from true business sites, not from spam sites that only want to make money from Adsense or some other affiliate program, and make sure they offer descent content...sooner or later these spam scraper site could be banned by GYM and since you are in their neighborhood you could get hit as well....or the site owner may abandon site at the end of hosting or domain expiration period, and you end up leaking PR to a site that some guy will quickly buy if the domain expired only to make a few bucks out of your transfered PR.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JakeJeck, thank you for this.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is related in topic it will not hurt and they could get pr sooner or later and pass some on to your site.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate ignorant people. Their explanation of how PageRank works is sound, but then they espouse that things have changed and it no longer works because of 1 observation. Like there isn't a thousand other factors that could be influencing what they're seeing. Just more typical crap from SEOmoz. I should send them a book on scientific method for Christmas.

anyways.... to the original poster (and correcting all the others)...

PR 0 as reported in the toolbar does not equate to a PageRank of 0.000.

It means your PageRank is less than what is required to reach whatever threshold Google has decided to represent with a PR of 1 in the toolbar.

The actual value of a PR1 could be 1287, so if your PR is 0 it just means your actual value is < 1287. Get it?

Furthermore, there is a minimum PR in that all pages have a minimum pr of (1-d) where d is the predetermined (and not disclosed by Google other than an example of 0.85) dampening factor. So it is impossible for a page to truly have an actual PR of 0.0000.

As such, yes, a link from a PR 0 page will still help, however small, so long as that page hasn't been banned or otherwise penalized by Google.

Additionally, PageRank aside, you'll can also get good link context from a link regardless of the PR of the page upon which it sits.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums