SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my website before golive

Please review and critique my website. It is a hip hop site for up and coming artists with a community aspect, news, vids, promotional music updated daily through rss and robots. I am going to launch it sometime late next week and would like to hear what people think about it. Anything you have to say good or bad, suggestions, ideas, whatever will be highly appreciated.

The site is http://undergroundinnertainment.com

Thank you all.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impressions from a quick look.

Obviously it isn't ready to go live just yet, with all of the "Artist1" and "Artist2" links in the sidebar.

I like the news item display at the top, but it goes pretty fast for those who might want to read it before they choose to click the link.

The "Hip-Hop News and Events" section strikes me as a bit repetitive since you have that news ticker up top, but I can see why you have it on the front page. The dark graphic with the screenshot is hard to see. And pictures of Web pages on Web pages, especially your own page as a graphic, never struck me as a good idea.

Blue links on a black background are almost impossible to read.

Good idea to have a music link on the front page without arbitrarily forcing the visitor to hear your musical selection. So many music pages just start playing something without so much as a by-your-leave.

Your graphics, especially your title graphic, need ALT tags for the visually disabled visitor.

Five stylesheets AND IE hack coding? I know this is a Joomla site, but wow, that's a lot. And I haven't gone through your code, but HTML Tidy says you have 23 coding errors on the home page. Don't know how many you can correct considering you're running through Joomla.

I'm not a hip-hop fan, but I see a lot of rap and hip-hop pages, and the ones I've seen are far more "busy" than yours. I don't know whether the stripped-down style you're using will appeal to the average hip-hop surfer. Me, I prefer stripped-down and clean designs.

Overall, you've got the makings of a good site here, but I wouldn't go live until you correct some of the missteps.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the page opens in IE7, a JavaScript error greets me before anything else loads... which means I don't even bother to look further.

The error:
    Line: 270
    Error: 'this.content' is null or not an object

Clearly I'm being picky, but many users who don't understand JS can get freaked out by these things. Fix that before you fix anything else... you should also place your JS code near the bottom of your webpage so that the rest of the page loads before any problems arise.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad on the layout but needs to be completed and look like a finished site..

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to much grey ans the buttons are to big

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Two Cents...

Here goes...

The grey is kind of blah for a jumpin', exciting hip-hop site. But then I don't know much about hip-hop. Just seems ya might want to add a bit more life to it!

The pages are very slow to load.

Home Page: Welcome area..there's a typo...the word "see" is spelled "se"
    The firefox logo and suggestion seems to be a bit too big on the page.

I like the idea of the featured artists bios on the left of each page.

I'm not exactly sure what the goal of the site is. Are you trying to be a meeting place for artists and producers to get together? Or just a news site? A fun site?

Overall, looks like it could be a fun site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much of the same shade of grey....

You have the name UndergroundInnertaninment.com written 4 times, in 4 different styles.... seems like a bit much... go with one of the styles IMO

add more of the style else where... looks too plain and simple...

I do like the color usage though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    logo is very nice and website colors are good and website looks advanced to me
    Believe in God who loves you so much.....i am in Love
    www.ilovemoses.com
    www.torahbeliever.com
    www.iloveyoutorah.com * www.cannotstaywithoutgod.com *

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much grey. Red could be a more subtle shade, dark red maybe.

Why a big red border around the Firefox button?, it looks cheap.

Your logo underneath the Firefox button is much cooler than the one at the top of the page. Put it at the top, & ditch the other one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would of had no idea that the site was a hip hop site if you had not told me in your posting.
    I think you need to bring more of a hip hop feeling to it with pics, graphics, etc..
    Lots of gray as well. Add some hip hop pics and it will make your site look a lot better.
    The ConsumerTreehouse.com Team
    www.consumertreehouse.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a hip hop site, not a big fan. HipHop fan sites are usually much more active and much more, well, HIP. The gray of the site, lack of graphics, lack of content and the fact that it takes forever to actually load would make me rethink my launch date until I got things fixed and added some much needed content.

Also, for whatever reason the font used in the news section needs to be changed.

On a postive note, I do like the logo.