SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holidays and Web Businesses

I expect a lot of web businesses are continuing to make money today on Thanksgiving day, while the webmasters are spending time with friends and family. I think this is a great thing about owning a web business, you keep making money even on Holidays (also for me, I happen to be working).

What are your thoughts about the Holidays and your web business?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holiday is just like a normal 'working' day for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always work on the holidays. When I do take a break, I usually go to a friends and have a few beers, usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday rather than the holiday or weekends (which I consider "amateur day"). AN added benefit, is on holidays if I need to make a call to any companies tech support, there is usually an instant answer.

Happy Gluttony Day!
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that way of thinking ... "amateur day". In a similar way, I like to go to nice restaurants or other entertainment when all the "amateurs" are at work (no offense intended to anyone. I was an "amateur")

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol I'm working too cuz I'm a freak....but ya websites are making money today, but internet traffic is certainly significantly depressed through the weekend...
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is best when enjoyed so I try and find a balance between time off and getting the work done. In the case of a day like today (US Thanksgiving), that means checking some email, updating a few promos and monitoring things periodically this evening to be sure the site is ready for the huge sales day tomorrow. There's no reason to spend every waking moment working but it's certainly nice to be able to check a few things off on a slow day without worrying about calls from vendors or department meetings.

Just remember, if you're even remotely connected to retail or etail (and that includes sites with ads for retail products), Monday is one of your biggest days of the year so if you've not yet finalized all your promos and marketing, better get on it.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't it an English ex-pat who started Thanksgiving Day? Shame he didn't patent it, could of been loaded.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko2gecko2 View Post
    Wasn't it an English ex-pat who started Thanksgiving Day? Shame he didn't patent it, could of been loaded.
    You can't patent days.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol....patent anything!
    Evan, CEO
    Experience Advertising, Inc. Affiliate Program Management

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a good balance is very important. If you are a person that spends a lot of time in front of the computer, I think you should try to find some ways to challenge yourself physically as well as mentally. And of course, we all need real human interaction, and it is very healthy to spend time have friends and family (especially the ones you get along with).

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely take holidays off; the major ones anyway. I work when I want but make sure I'm also available during 'normal' business hours and thus feel no guilt about being incommunicado on those days I choose to be unavailable.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Holidays such as Thanksgiving just mean that I earn less money for the same amount of work since the number of visitors I get is down when there is a US holiday. Often when my visitors are down on a particular day I later find out that it was a US holiday of some sort.

As local holidays have almost no effect on visitors to my site my best days are the ones that are a holiday here that are not also a holiday in the US.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it all depends, I normally work through holidays and weekends because there is work to be done. But if there is nothing to do then I get some rest and do some hobby stuff. Since I live overseas, and work mostly with international clients I get a mixture of local and foreign holidays to deal with.
    "You can just hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around...
    Or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters."
    - Cartman

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It depends on personal plans for me. If we have something special to do or company coming I may work only part of a day or not at all. Of course this holds true for non-holidays, too. If we aren't doing anything special and I have work to do, I do it.

One of the great things about working for yourself is that you can get paid on just about any day you want to get paid. If you want to get paid everyday, you need to plan your work accordingly, holiday or not!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's absolutely necessary to work on a holiday I guess I would, but is that ever really the case? I mean, if you are an emergency room doctor or a firefighter I can see the schedule being erratic, but it's rare that there is some 'emergency' that would get me working on a holiday. After all, setting my own hours is one fo the reasons I like having my own biz!
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having an internet business means you do have to work almost every day - but you can always decide whether you need to work or not.

We take our laptop and check email and ONLY do what is absolutely urgent (i.e process orders and answer emails) when we are on "official" holidays like Xmas day, and on our summer holiday with our kids. The rest of the time we relax and do family things.

All work and no play makes for a dull life.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leucad View Post
    Having an internet business means you do have to work almost every day - but you can always decide whether you need to work or not.
    Exactly! If you want, you can work part of Sunday and take part of Monday off. If you want to work on a holiday, you can... but you never "have" to go to work any day of the week, holiday or not.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown