SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Streamlining your Operation for 2008

I have found one of the key ingredients of growth is the ability to setup a process for everything in a way that things get done effectively and in a timely manner.

I like to take a look at the way I am spending my time, as well as the way my staff are spending their time and start to ask some questions:
    1. Are there certain recurring items that take up a lot of time that could be done in a more efficient way?
    2. Are customers "over running" us in certain areas? While the customer is key our success, are there certain boundaries we need to set that will allow us to help ALL customers more effectively?
    3. Are there certain tasks that we do that really aren't needed anymore?
    4. Are people doing what they do best? Sometimes, for example, a programmer ends up getting asked to do some design work, and this is time consuming for them.
    5. Is there anything causing people to have a bad attitude? Sometimes one or two people can cause quite a "ruckus" by making other people bad in some way. What can we do to change the situation?

As we get closer to the end of 2007, I think it is always a good time to start thinking about ways to streamline your business, and make it more efficient and productive, as well something we enjoy doing!

I look forward to your responses.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't spend so much time posting on forums. It's really cutting into my productivity this year. Oh, and find ways to stay out of the hospital, and to keep my computer running. Having to share and borrow computers REALLY hurt my bottom line, as did the medical bills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Don't spend so much time posting on forums.
    Definitely. Also,

1. Spend more time away from the PC.
    2. Maximize code re-use
    3. Streamline collaboration work-flow
    4. Improve business skills
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My latest time-saving effort is to avoid useless phone calls and meetings. Over the years, I've learned to resist meetings that seems like they might be a waste of time (especially if they aren't billable). Lately, I've resisted scheduling calls or meetings that don't have a clear, written agenda with a real, defined objective. No more 'kick off' calls, etc! So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Don't spend so much time posting on forums. It's really cutting into my productivity this year. Oh, and find ways to stay out of the hospital, and to keep my computer running. Having to share and borrow computers REALLY hurt my bottom line, as did the medical bills.
    If your medical bills are high, maybe you should change to better health insurance?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more like GET health insurance, Dave. I don't have any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I really consider getting a full time job next year. Freelancing can be so overwhelming at times.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a couple of people that work part time at Starbucks for the health insurance. You don't have to be a full time employee. There may be some other businesses that offer health insurance for part timers.