I have found one of the key ingredients of growth is the ability to setup a process for everything in a way that things get done effectively and in a timely manner.
I like to take a look at the way I am spending my time, as well as the way my staff are spending their time and start to ask some questions:
1. Are there certain recurring items that take up a lot of time that could be done in a more efficient way?
2. Are customers "over running" us in certain areas? While the customer is key our success, are there certain boundaries we need to set that will allow us to help ALL customers more effectively?
3. Are there certain tasks that we do that really aren't needed anymore?
4. Are people doing what they do best? Sometimes, for example, a programmer ends up getting asked to do some design work, and this is time consuming for them.
5. Is there anything causing people to have a bad attitude? Sometimes one or two people can cause quite a "ruckus" by making other people bad in some way. What can we do to change the situation?
As we get closer to the end of 2007, I think it is always a good time to start thinking about ways to streamline your business, and make it more efficient and productive, as well something we enjoy doing!
I look forward to your responses.