SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

jbm
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Last week I came across a problem in Netscape. I used a simple JavaScript to show the date my page was last modified:

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    <!---
    document.write('Last modified: ')
    document.write(document.lastModified)

// -->
    </SCRIPT>

it shows correctly in IE, but not Netscape. After Dec. 31 in Netscape all I see is "Last modified on Jan 1, 1970". The problem seems to only arise with .cfm flies (Cold Fusion Templates), but not when I save files as HTML. Has anybody else seen this before? Am I just overlooking something? If you know why this is happening or if you know the workaround for this problem please let me know. Your help is appreciated.

jbm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this might work.

var months = new Array("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December");
    var name = navigator.appName.toLowerCase();
    var modi = document.LastModified;
    if ((name.indexOf("netscape") && document.location.indexof(".cfm"))
    {
    var textdate = months[modi.getMonth()] + modi.getDate() + ',' + (theDate.getYear() + 1900);
    }

jbm
    LuZeR,
    thanks for a fast reply. That code didn't seem to work. In Netscape, of course... IE works fine, Netscape still 'thinks' its Jan 1, 1970. (The weird thing is, it stayed on Jan 1, 1970 for a few days)

I think I might end up using a Cold Fusion function to get date, but I won't sleep until I figure this one out.... So anyone out there with suggestions, please say something!

thank you
    jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of Navigator are you using??? maybe you should try updating to 4.7 nd javascript 1.3 to see if the problem is fixed. Sounds like a Y2K glitch in the interpreting engine for javascript.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

jbm
    I do have Netscape 4.7. It looked like a Y2K glitch at first, but the date always stays at Jan 1, 1970 and it's confusing me a little bit... I'll keep trying - maybe I can come up with something to fix it...
    jbm

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you "modified" the document??? Just open and save it again. See if the date changes. Also make a few test documents and force their modified dates to various values some before and some after the new year.

------------------
    Wayne Luke

The Majormud Encyclopedia - www.bloodquest2.com
    Come Play one of the hottest games on the net.

jbm
    I tried that, and I still get the same error. It has something to do with ColdFusion, though, because it works fine with HTML documents. Maybe I should see what Netscape Y2K team has to tell me about this one

thanks for your help, guys. If you have any additional thoughts, your input is more than welcome, and if I find an answer I will post it here.

jbm