SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: tldbucket.com content mix:

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • more web stuff (links, tools, etc)

1 100.00%
  • less web stuff (just the domain list, maybe)

0 0%
  • just right (keep it as it is)

0 0%
    SitePoint Member greg orym leach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tldbucket.com- please review

Hi
    Please cast your eye over http://www.tldbucket.com and let me know if there are any glaring issues with the design, content, etc..
    The site is aimed at promoting parked domains to generate more income from them, but has had its remit expanded a bit to offer useful stuff for webmasters.
    There is a blog at http://tldbucket.blogspot.com which may be of use...

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly... I hate it.

It looks like something a developer would put up when an application has errored.

The text is to small and the large use of capitals draws my eye to the bottom of the page, away from the links your supposed to be featuring.
    The featured links text colour and their background colour are to similar. The links don't stand out.... It's just a mass of blue grey.

In short, up the text size and add a bit more colour...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the moving page when clicking on the menu. It causes you to have to scroll to find things on some of the links. This could cause people to get irritated and leave before they find out what you have to offer. I would recommend just going to a new page for each link (or menu item).

It could stand to be styled a little more. It just looks a bit blaah. As if it were slapped together too quickly. Maybe a more stylish looking header and logo.

I like the way you can translate it into different languages. You have a good idea. Good luck and I wish you success!

SitePoint Enthusiast bloggernoob's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    site needs work. looks unprofessional. the design should be more 2.0. smoother edges and rounded buttons etc. as far as service i think it could be useful but you are competiting with a lot of giants. i would go for a complete redesign and if you really want to grow the site. do some heavy advertising. also, your blog is a blogspot blog? get your own hosted blog. using a blogspot blog seems amateurish. if you're already on a host. its easy to get your blog on your host. don't use blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up keep it coming!

Hi all, thanks for the feedback so far..

You all comment on the blandness- that was intentional, as I didn't want to distract from the content too much, but judging by your comments, perhaps I have gone too far... tbh, I was kinda aiming for the 'facebook' look

The javascript effects are definatly getting shelved, in favour of separate pages- I am starting to find this somewhat annoying myself... This will also get rid of a lot of that grey... Any suggestions for a second colour? (the blue bits stay!)

Thanks, yes, the links are a little bland, and I shall look into the text- size thing- originally the site was 470px wide, and had very little apart from the domains list and a form- the drawers and text size really seemed to work with that set- up...

Bloggernoob- I use the blogspot blog as a traffic draw from blogger, but perhaps a second 'on- site' blog would be a good idea-

It's all good! Keep it coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't like it, but that isn't to say give up trying. Design is a process of improvement. Firstly the navigation at the bottom is hardly ever seen on any website - and for good reason! Your users will want conventional easy to use navigation. Honestly I wasn't initially sure that all of them were links even as my cursor didn't change upon hovering.

I would liven things up but not make them more complex. Simple is fine, but your site actually seems too complex in terms of usability. I seriously think if you got a regular horizontal menu below your logo and then played with some fonts/styling you'd have a nice looking website.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use the grey background on your links. They look kind of "inactive" that way.

What you might consider is having a newstickerish banner of the domains that you're promoting on your main page. This could help to make the site more vivid.

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also dislike the scrolling. Rather have several pages.

The menu is using links to the same page. That is very surprising, and disturbing.

Most importent: For navigating and to get a fast grip about what content to expect, i would rather have a menu pointing to all department (on differant pages) than discover them by scrolling down.

The input fields would gain on having a lighter shade than the page, if not white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it looks more like a parked page than a website. Change the logo to something a little more professional, and add some colors and organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Thanks, now how about this..?

Thanks all for your feedback, pretty much all of it has been taken on- board...
    more colurs (actually, I am now entirely convinced this was the right descision...), larger text, do 'drawers' (I was getting mighty sick of those, anyway...), etc, etc...

Have another look at tldbucket.com and let me know if the changes are heading in the right direction...

Would be especially interested in ideas for making the 'domains for sale' table a bit more noticable..?

Thanks!

Greg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. the title image is too big. Make it 30 px high or similar...
    2. the your ad here image is also too big height wise
    3. you have a big size for fonts that makes the site look unprofessional. It's Ok for a personal site, but not for the web business.

The "grunge" fonts are not the best choice for a web related site either ..

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow up

The site has improved a lot since the "scroll down" version.

The inline links on homepage opens a new window/tab. Unexpected that it is external links.
    So is the Host-navbutton. That is very unexpected.