SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almet - Please review this website.

Almet Sheet Metal Fabrications Ltd

I have been asked to redesign their existing website.

This is what I have produced so far.
    What do you guys think?

You can visit my design here: http://www.versitech-imaging.co.uk/almet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is very well done. Congrats! As for critique:

1. "image to come" is uncommon, and it gave me the impression that it was a placeholder for an unfinished work. Using a more familiar term like 'image loading', would be better here.

2. The www/non-www versions of the website are separate at the moment. It would be better for PR to combine them together.

3. The Lightbox took a long time to load, but that maybe because of my location.

I can't find anything else to say other than that. Great work!
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks for the comment. I spent a long time on this website. It is only 90% finished so far, and image to come was just for my benefit really. lol. Actually images will be put there before the launch of this website.

I am not sure what you mean by www/non-www versions. Please could you explain.

The lightbox loads reasonably fast at my end. Anyone else having problems? Anymore comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookup 'Canonical Redirects' in google. Basically you have to do something like the following in your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^almet\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.almet.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    Lookup 'Canonical Redirects' in google. Basically you have to do something like the following in your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^almet\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.almet.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    Oh i understand. This will only load the website once right? Fantastic. I will do that as soon as the website goes live. I'm hosting it myself at present, so no need as of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah..yah...I didn't notice that you were hosting it on your site. What the canonical redirect does is to redirect the non www version of your site to the www version, so that there will be only 1 URL for the site. This keeps PR from being split between the 2 versions.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice design. The only thing that bothers me about there is no active state for the navigation. I always like to look at the navigation to find where i am on a site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice design. The only thing that bothers me about there is no active state for the navigation. I always like to look at the navigation to find where i am on a site.
    Yes that is a good point actually. I would have to agree. I will implement some kind of activate state.

What you think about something like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website all around, nice and clean and I like the colour scheme. Just a couple of things that are worth noting from a marketing point of view.

• Titles: I think the page titles are too small and subtle, they don't hit you in the face. A larger font or an image file could be better.
    • Photos: look at the content of the photo and see what impression it gives you. One of the photos has an employee scratching his head (not really a good look) also there is a photo of an empty reception area again, what does that tell you? it's much better to have a photo with 2 people in discussion over a plan or something where there is interaction.
    • The home page is wordy: there is a lot to read. It's better to provide an executive summary ie spell out the products and services with short descriptions and make them link to the relevant page and use some great photos to make a striking first impression.

Good luck with the site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice professional clean site, easy to follow. The content doesnt really jump out and what me to read it though. I think it could need a heading text that want to pull me in to read.

Nice site overall. we done