SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member narenderpalsingh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link exchange - Positive value or thumbs down !!!

I think its true that Google and other engines devalue an inbound link if it's found to be reciprocated right back...As its a rational view point...So obviously the big guys might do a step better ( or its already here or they are thinking/ planning whatever ) ......
    .......I mean how does the search engines (especially Google) value link exchange page as we normally see in many formats as 'recommended sites', 'resources', or open invitation to links ( Spam in technical language ....politically whatever anyone say..)..So according to you guys how does they react..
    1. Penalise in some form.
    2. Ignore.
    3. Count the links as another medal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Google, I would venture to say it is usually ignore, but if the only links that exist are low value reciprocal links it could be penalize.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with that, I wonder if there is any use for services like:

Link Metro/Link Vault/Receive Links/etc

At best it seems like they are undervalued, at worst - you get penalized?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't participate in that and have good rankings.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just from my experience I would dissagree about reciprocal links - My site and a very similar one in the same niche linked back in July and by August we shot from page 4 in the SERPs to page 1.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is think about what is going to work for your user. Before you do anything, ask yourself if it's going to improve the user experience. If not, don't do it. Simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowadays google gives more weight to One way natural links than link exchange. Isn't it??

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can still get the benefits from link exchange.
    I create just quality links.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in spring 2005 when this news first came down, I remember reading that Google will de-emphasize reciprocal links and will increase value for one way links. It's not my understanding that they will penalize two-way links. Google saw much manufacturing of two way links just like there is much manufacturing of one way links now!

Google wants all of this link stuff to be natural, almost like spontaneous generation, but that doesn't happen often in real life with sites like you and I own. It's a bit disingenuous of Google to set the ground rules for the all important SERP and PR and then penalize those who build links the only way they can.

I've participated in a few of those two way link sites like Link Market, Link this, link that. I've never seen so many loser sites in my life! It sounds like if you join ($) you may get better results and useful features. You'll have to check up on these links periodically to make sure they're still valid. Lots of junk there though and many sites you invite won't respond. Very time consuming. I see plenty of sites with no link page and very high SERP and PR.
    Buy 3 permanent deep links for only $5.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funster View Post
    Google wants all of this link stuff to be natural, almost like spontaneous generation, but that doesn't happen often in real life with sites like you and I own.
    Actually it happens all the time. I think the people who would have you believe that natural linking doesn't happen are the people who are selling links.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reciprocal links are bad for SEO and should be avoided. They are a clear attempt to manipulate the search results which is a big no-no. That's why Google specifically outs them in their webmaster guidelines. Additionally, by exchanging links you risk being considered part of a link farm which is another way to find yourself banned from the search engines.

Even without those two problems, reciprocal links have no SEO value. They negate each other or, even worse, you may be on the losing end of one and weaken your SE positioning. Link exchanges should be saved for websites in your niche that are well established and ahead of you in the rankings.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But where did I read language from Google that it's perfectly OK to go and exchange links with related and relevant web-sites?
    Buy 3 permanent deep links for only $5.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Reciprocal links are bad for SEO and should be avoided. They are a clear attempt to manipulate the search results which is a big no-no. That's why Google specifically outs them in their webmaster guidelines. Additionally, by exchanging links you risk being considered part of a link farm which is another way to find yourself banned from the search engines.

Even without those two problems, reciprocal links have no SEO value. They negate each other or, even worse, you may be on the losing end of one and weaken your SE positioning. Link exchanges should be saved for websites in your niche that are well established and ahead of you in the rankings.
    There's no question that I have zero SEO experience on you Stymiee, but considering my own experience I have proof that the reciprocal link I exchanged with a VERY similar site had a huge benefit for both of our sites. ? I can understand your point if you mean reciprocal links from hundreds of unlrelated sites - but what about the content-specific links? Ones that have similar objectives?

Quote Originally Posted by funster View Post
    But where did I read language from Google that it's perfectly OK to go and exchange links with related and relevant web-sites?
    I read the same thing Funster - perhaps 'related' is the key element in the value of reciprocal links.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    related and ranking above you for the same keyword seems to work well but try getting these people to exchange links ....
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    related and ranking above you for the same keyword seems to work well but try getting these people to exchange links ....
    Well in my circumstances this wasn't really an issue, but I understand where you are coming from in this view as many people would like links from top-level sites. What the question really is, what makes a site top level- reciprocal links or many-to-one relational links.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only works in your favor if the site you exchange links with is related to the topic and has higher Pr than your site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dissagree that PR has anything to do with the matter, PR is considered a heap-pile anyhow... I would argue that the material of the site and its similarity to yours counts more.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Well in my circumstances this wasn't really an issue, but I understand where you are coming from in this view as many people would like links from top-level sites. What the question really is, what makes a site top level- reciprocal links or many-to-one relational links.
    or a first mover advantage in the respective niche? I know that some sites in the top SERPS for a niche I am targeting have been around since the 90s or early 2000 for the later ones. That is something that Google values highly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mean the length of time a site has been online?

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I can understand your point if you mean reciprocal links from hundreds of unlrelated sites - but what about the content-specific links? Ones that have similar objectives?
    If you're going to exchange links it should always be with a site in your same niche that ranks very well for the terms you want to rank well for and gets lots of traffic. In those cases the benefits outweigh the negatives. Naturally those will also be very much in the minority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    If you're going to exchange links it should always be with a site in your same niche that ranks very well for the terms you want to rank well for and gets lots of traffic. In those cases the benefits outweigh the negatives. Naturally those will also be very much in the minority.
    when i was reading this post until some posts above it was clear NO from seo guru but up to time we have reahced here it is almost virtual YES meaning that may be link exchange with same field sites...having higher pr is not bad..or good to site....

so is it the conclusion..or we should go with what ever we feel right...

thanks...

SitePoint Member narenderpalsingh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for yours valuable feedback..THANKS TO ALL. See I think building links in this way is certainly bad..If you do it on mass scale with irrelevant sites. But if you Exchange links with some compatible ones from inside the content ( A trick anycase but is a certain success ) then even google and other search engnes have no choice. So I think whatever you claim regarding exchanging but Point always remain is if you get caught ...you are likely to be penalised ( in which form that's only the SE knows ) but yeah BAD ( Even mild ) = THUMBS DOWN.
    So obviously better to go for the safer way...
    I ask the same Question on DP also and the guys there too reply in this mix format..
    I believe in it...and definitely want to follow the way..

AGAIN THANKS TO YOU ALL AND REGARDS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    when i was reading this post until some posts above it was clear NO from seo guru but up to time we have reahced here it is almost virtual YES meaning that may be link exchange with same field sites...having higher pr is not bad..or good to site....

so is it the conclusion..or we should go with what ever we feel right...

thanks...
    Keep in mind that the reciprocal link has no SEO value. Doing it in the case I mentioned is strictly for targeted traffic. Basically don't do reciprocal link exchanges unless the site you can get a link from is just that amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narenderpalsingh View Post

Thanks for yours valuable feedback..THANKS TO ALL. See I think building links in this way is certainly bad..If you do it on mass scale with irrelevant sites. But if you Exchange links with some compatible ones from inside the content ( A trick anycase but is a certain success ) then even google and other search engnes have no choice. So I think whatever you claim regarding exchanging but Point always remain is if you get caught ...you are likely to be penalised ( in which form that's only the SE knows ) but yeah BAD ( Even mild ) = THUMBS DOWN.
    So obviously better to go for the safer way...
    I ask the same Question on DP also and the guys there too reply in this mix format..
    I believe in it...and definitely want to follow the way..

AGAIN THANKS TO YOU ALL AND REGARDS
    as far as i am concerned i think it will wrong conclusion say "it is totally bad..or thumbs down..." ...rather i think it should be handled carefully using intution...in real world we cannot say ok this is bad and even think of getting good pr....after all it is easy to say ..get pr from high ranked site...after all why would high ranked site bother to keep your link on thier site(unless they are directory).......so the formula is the same ..we should continue with it ...but some people get good combination of it ..using their intution thats why they are called experts or they get good pr for thier site...

so i think completly saying no is i think making home and making door and windows from where air can pass in...