User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open Ads In Same Window, Or New Window?

Hey everyone-
    It's been ages since I have posted here, but here goes:

Today I implemented my ValueClick ad codes onto a new site of mine. For as long as I can remember I have chosen to have my banner ads open up in a new window. It seemed like an easy answer, because that way the user does not leave my site.

Now that I take a step back and think about it, I'm starting to think that it might be far more efficient to have the ad open in the same window. I would imagine you would be far more likely to get a user to convert if you had the ad open in the same window.

Has anyone experimented with this to see if there are changes in CPM between ads that open in the same window, and those that open in new windows?

I look forward to everyones responses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To convert to what?... If you are just dealing with CPM or CPC payments, it seems better to have the page that opens upon clicking on an ad in another window.

For CPAs your argument does make sense.
    -yasha78
    Ad-Network reviews and useful tips:
    WebsterFlooble.com - Last Updated: CasaleMedia
    GetRichandQuick.com - Laugh your a** off, learn something useful.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my CPM ads opening in new windows. As long as you get some clicks on the ads and some conversions that should be fine. The more pageviews per visitor you can get with quality traffic the more earnings you will earn per visitor on average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason I always imagined that in CPM networks they still measure conversions.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do want good publishers so cpm networks will not take anybody. So the better your CTR and Conversions on the ads the better.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Opening ads in new windows will annoy your visitors so that they will NEVER click on another ad on your site and probably will never bother to come back at all.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the site. A forum opens ads in a new window so people stay on the forum and they use them all the time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longer someone is on your site, the more chance of revenue. Navigating away from your site is a bad idea, leaving your window open always gives them an extra chance to look at more things on your site.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You also need to check the advertisers terms of service as most require that the ad open in the same window.

Of course since these days your visitor controls where links open regardless of what the code in the page says. If they want it to open in the same window it will.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Opening ads in new windows will annoy your visitors so that they will NEVER click on another ad on your site and probably will never bother to come back at all.
    Seriously?

What makes you say that?

I thought people would prefer to have the basic site still there after they've been looking around for awhile...

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe that age old question.

I think you have to consider the user experience. If it's better for the user to open a new window then do that. If it will just confuse them then don't.

I used to open new windows on all pages leaving my site. I guess I still do on a lot of my affiliate sites.

As a web user I really hate it when I'm reading an article, click on a link in the article and get taken away from what I'm reading. I'd much prefer it to load in a new window...

So I guess I'm saying I like new windows, but it does depend on the user experience.

Tom
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by webchalkboard View Post
    Hehe that age old question.

I think you have to consider the user experience. If it's better for the user to open a new window then do that. If it will just confuse them then don't.

I used to open new windows on all pages leaving my site. I guess I still do on a lot of my affiliate sites.

As a web user I really hate it when I'm reading an article, click on a link in the article and get taken away from what I'm reading. I'd much prefer it to load in a new window...

So I guess I'm saying I like new windows, but it does depend on the user experience.

Tom
    Yes, I think that's rather how I feel. I like to have what I was originally intereted in still there...